Cold brew on stainless steel

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
wearashirt

#1: Post by wearashirt »

I would like to ask if cold brewing in stainless steel really has an improving effect, over brewing in mason jars and BPA-free plastics?

I read around on some cafes doing it. La Colombe does it.

CathyWeeks

#2: Post by CathyWeeks »

wearashirt wrote:I would like to ask if cold brewing in stainless steel really has an improving effect, over brewing in mason jars and BPA-free plastics?
So... I brew in glass and stainless, and it all tastes fine to me. I would suppose the stainless might offer some sort of improvement due to it being light-tight? When brewing hot coffee, the amount of time the coffee is exposed to light is just a few minutes, so stainless probably offers no advantage over glass. But cold brew MIGHT. (I'm doubtful I personally would be able to taste the difference, though).

On the other hand, I've noticed that all of my glass, ceramic, and stainless brewers retain zero coffee smell when they've been cleaned. My Aeropress (plastic) on the other hand, always smells of stale coffee, no matter how much it's cleaned. I have to imagine that the coffee smell that's permanently imbedded in it MUST change the taste, though I've never noticed a problem. However cold brew, due to it being left in the brewer for so long, might cause a difference in flavor? (again, I'm doubtful that I'd be able to tell, myself)

flathead1

#3: Post by flathead1 »

Bouncing a stainless steel container on the floor doesn't result in shattered bits of glass or ceramic. As noted above, some plastics capture coffee residue which probably means trouble from a county/city food service inspection.
A Lever and a place to stand ...

LMWDP #152