Clover brewer at Starbucks fail because of beans or brewer or both? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
day (original poster)

#11: Post by day (original poster) »

Wow the trifecta really does look awesome. Something realistic to aim for then.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

cmin

#12: Post by cmin »

Problem isn't the machine, it's the crap Charbucks beans. Put some nice fresh and correctly roasted beans in it and I'm sure it would make a hell of a cup, Charbucks gimps it with their beans.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

I have had coffee from a Clover years ago before they were bought out. Did not like it. I am trying to remember if it was at Intelli or Metropolis while I was in Chicago. Jim and I hit a few shops when I was in town for work. As I recall we both thought it was an interesting way to ruin a good coffee. Both of us were less than impressed with the cup but to each his own.
Dave Stephens

yakster
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by yakster »

I've always heard the Clover compared to the Aeropress and the Trifecta compared to Siphon. I had a chance to taste Trifecta head-to-head with a siphon and could not tell the difference.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

compliance

#15: Post by compliance »

There are a couple Starbucks locations with a Clover near my work, although not the closest location. Sometimes I make the drive for the Clover and the coffee is better. I personally love the Clover, and was sad when Starbucks bought them all, but it still makes good coffee, even at Starbucks! The issue is picking the right coffee off their reserve list, some are good and some are not so good. They will all be over roasted to some degree but you can find the ones that still have decent flavor. Maybe the barista is another issue? I'm not sure how fool proof they are.

In my opinion it is also the best way to order iced coffee. I will take an iced coffee prepared with the Clover from Starbucks over ANY 3rd wave cold brew.

Exordium01

#16: Post by Exordium01 »

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm not trying to defend Starbucks here.

I've been reasonably happy with the coffee from a Clover and one of the "blond" roasts. Sure, it's not fantastic coffee, but it's ubiquitous, and it's drinkable. Most independent cafes suck, and you don't always have time to seek out the good ones. If a Starbucks doesn't carry one of the blond roasts, I'll walk out without getting coffee.
compliance wrote: In my opinion it is also the best way to order iced coffee. I will take an iced coffee prepared with the Clover from Starbucks over ANY 3rd wave cold brew.
I thought I was the only one who wasn't a fan of toddy coffee. Sure it's smooth and has nice texture, but the flavors are muddy and muted. I find it boring. It's a bit humorous that the 3rd wave espresso focuses so much on highlighting brightness and fruit characteristics while selecting a cold brew method that suppresses it.