Chemex or V60 or something else?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Super Hans

#1: Post by Super Hans »

Hi,
I'm about to buy a new pour-over kit but am having a hard time deciding which one, even though i've spent the last hour reading threads on here about the different methods :)

What i usually prefer is kenyan beans. Fruity, high acidity, bright, clean.

Basically i'm choosing between Chemex or V60. Is there any main difference in how light roasted beans will taste in those two?

Thanks!

lakesidecoffee

#2: Post by lakesidecoffee »

If you want to go just for one method, I'd highly recommend the Kalita wave.

I have a V60 too, but generally the Kalita is much more easy to handle and to dial in. It's quite easy to learn the pouring technique and the results are really rewarding.

The cup is also very clean, maybe a little more body than on the V60 (depending on recipe).
twitter: @lakeside_coffee

Advertisement
endlesscycles

#3: Post by endlesscycles »

The Chemex looks nicer, but a #1 V60 is going to be easier to brew on. The shallow depth allows a more gentle pour which aids brew clarity. The plastic versions hold heat better and are cheap. Spend more on the grinder and kettle than the filter holder, IMO.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

Chemex and KONE, though both work fine.

http://www.amazon.com/ABLE-KONE-COFFEE- ... B009TCOP38

-----
LMWDP #339

Intrepid510

#5: Post by Intrepid510 »

How much are you planning on brewing? If you are brewing a whole pot of coffee every morning then you probably want the Chemex, brewing for just yourself you probably want a V60.

Eastsideloco

#6: Post by Eastsideloco »

+1 for the Kalita Wave. At least check it out. The 1-2 serving version is model 155. Model 185 is for 3-4 servings. The Kalita Wave Style set includes a pouring flask:

http://shop.wreckingballcoffee.com/prod ... -style-set

All of the above are available from Wrecking Ball Coffee and Prima Coffee. (Oops. That won't won't help you in Sweden. But someone must have these in the EU. ;-)

If you stick w/ the V60 or the Chemex, the direction above makes sense. I use the V60 for single servings and the Chemex for larger pots.

Aaron

#7: Post by Aaron »

Eastsideloco wrote:
If you stick w/ the V60 or the Chemex, the direction above makes sense. I use the V60 for single servings and the Chemex for larger pots.
+1
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

Advertisement
orphanespresso
Sponsor

#8: Post by orphanespresso »

Super Hans (original poster)

#9: Post by Super Hans (original poster) »

Thanks for all inputs!
The reason i was mainly looking at chemex or v60 is because there's a store here with those two in stock, and i needed it for this weekend.
So i went for the chemex. Mainly doing 4 cups, but like the possibility to do atleast 6 or 8 when having guests.

I also have a tiamo that i've been using for a few years so i'll use that one for 1-2 cups.

Anyway, i really like the result i got from the chemex yesterday. Did wonders with Kenya Tegu AA. :)

Sam21

#10: Post by Sam21 »

If you do decide to add a single cup brewing cone to your mix try the Beehouse. I love my Kalita, but I can ge similar cups from my Beehouse and filters are available everywhere.