Chemex for one Large Mug

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jaybar

#1: Post by jaybar »

Hi

There are times when I want to brew one large mug (12-14 ounces of brew)and I want to do it with Chemex.

Please do not suggest alternatives to Chemex for one large mug. I have repeatedly tried alternative brew methods (Kalita, Hario and Bonmac). Because of vision and eye-hand coordination issues, I want/need to stick with Chemex. Given this, I want to focus on options within the Chemex family.

I hope to hear from those who have successfully used Chemex for a large mug.

Do you use the 1-3 cup or the 6 cup model for those times when you only want one large mug? What brew recipes have worked?

Thanks

Jay

Marshall_S

#2: Post by Marshall_S »

I have both the 3 and 6 cup Chemex and I always brew for myself in that range. For 12-14 ounces, you're at the upper limit of the small and the lower limit of the large to get a good cup.

I tend to stay with the smaller one for one reason - the paper filter seems thinner and you're less likely to get that paper taste (even with pre rinsing) that bothers a lot of people with Chemex. I don't taste it at all with the small one and I tend to stick with it for that reason.

I usually use between 22 and 24 grams of coffee and look for a brew time of around 3 minutes after blooming.
LMWDP#384

Advertisement
allon

#3: Post by allon »

Keep the same Chemex, get a larger mug :-)
LMWDP #331

Merkinz

#4: Post by Merkinz »

Marshall_S wrote:I have both the 3 and 6 cup Chemex and I always brew for myself in that range. For 12-14 ounces, you're at the upper limit of the small and the lower limit of the large to get a good cup.

I tend to stay with the smaller one for one reason - the paper filter seems thinner and you're less likely to get that paper taste (even with pre rinsing) that bothers a lot of people with Chemex. I don't taste it at all with the small one and I tend to stick with it for that reason.

I usually use between 22 and 24 grams of coffee and look for a brew time of around 3 minutes after blooming.
I also have the 3-cup and the 6-cup Chemex. and like you I also prefer to brew with the 3-cup. Don't know why, just do. :)