Chemex Brown Filters / Bleached Filters Draw Rate

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Shenrei

#1: Post by Shenrei »

Really confused right now.

From my testing, I'm finding out that the bleached white filters have a much slower draw rate than the unbleached brown filters.

Same coffee, same grind, same temp - when I make coffee at home using the exact same technique using unbleached filters, my pour-over finishes at about 2:45 - 3:30. Cup comes out glorious and awesome.

At work, same coffee, same grind, same temp - using bleached white filters, my pour-over finishes at around 3:30-4:30, sometimes I even have to lift the filter a bit to speed it up. Cup comes out over-extracted and muted.

Only difference is I'm using bleached filters instead of unbleached, and that I rinse the unbleached filters with RO water instead of filtered water at work. Both coffees use around 170-180ppm water.

Anyone else experience something like this?
- Tim

achipman

#2: Post by achipman »

I am. I haven't done any work to identify if the filter is indeed the problem, but I've definitely noticed a slower draw. It seems to have happened after I switched to the bleached Chemex filters.
"Another coffee thing??? I can't keep up with you... next you'll be growing coffee in our back yard." - My wife

Jaxx2112

#3: Post by Jaxx2112 »

Exact same grind (i.e. grinder and particle distribution) at work too?

Shenrei (original poster)

#4: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

Exactly the same. Ground from home, and brewed an hour later at work.
- Tim

endlesscycles

#5: Post by endlesscycles replying to Shenrei »

Not exactly the same! Degassed grounds are your answer, not filter color.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

[creative nickname]

#6: Post by [creative nickname] »

That's my thought as well. Bring some of those filters home, try it with freshly ground coffee and see if the drawdown is the same. I bet you'll find the difference disappears.
LMWDP #435

MWJB

#7: Post by MWJB »

If the weave of the unbleached papers is tighter, it may not be suffering from clogging by small particles as much as the bleached paper?

#8: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

Interesting. I'll give it a shot. As soon as I grind them, I do put them in an air tight container and I still see the coffee grounds degass/bubble during my pours.
- Tim

#9: Post by Shenrei (original poster) »

More tests and my results indicate that the bleached filters have a tendency to clog/draw slower much more often.

I tested this both at home, using 30g/480mL, same coffees. Aiming for 3min - 3:30min draw, with all of my water poured by the 2 minute mark, with pours at 00, 30, 130. Non-bleached filters consistently finished around 2:50 - 3:20. Bleached filters always seemed to go over by at least a minute (4min+), and in many cases, I had to "assist" it by lifting up the filter. Grind is 7F on a Baratza Forte BG.

Not looking good for these bleached filters, for me anyway.
- Tim

MWJB

#10: Post by MWJB »

Grind coarser for the bleached filters and change your pour regime when using the faster draining non-bleached filters (break it up into smaller pulses, but to this methodically).

Though a 4:00 total brew time isn't necessarily a problem in itself.