Chemex Brewing Tips

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CrucialCoffee

#1: Post by CrucialCoffee »

Wanted to post a handy Chemex Brewing recipe or anyone struggling with their brew or perhaps looking to get into Chemex Coffee.

The Grind Setting: It's between a pourover and espresso grind setting. A lot of variability to affect your pourover, so the easiest approach is to choose a more coarse range and work backwards to your desired coffee fineness. We used a Baratza Vario-W Burr Grinder, with a selected range of J-7 (Fine Grind).

Here's the recipe that worked best for us, using the 1:16 ratio methodology.
- 24 Grams of Coffee
- 400 Grams of Water
- Boiling Water at 205 Degrees Fahrenheit

Helpful to have:
-Scale
-Timer

Step-by-step Instructions:
1) Pre-wet filter and vessel
2) Dump water out and tare out your scale
3) Grind 24g coffee on a fine grind setting. Adjust according to taste. Place coffee in filter
4) Pour a small amount of water over the grinds, just enough to wet the coffee (i.e. bloom). Roughly about 100 g of water, which should be achieved in 15 seconds.
5) At 1 minute mark, take your water weight up to 400g by pouring only in the center. You want the water lifting the coffee, but not puddling.

Hope this helps!

Advertisement
Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

CrucialCoffee wrote:Wanted to post a handy Chemex Brewing recipe ...
Excellent guidance Jim.

And the same with a KONE3 coupled with the Chemex.

The Grind Setting: It's a pourover grind setting.

Here's the recipe that works best for me for 1 quart finished coffee.

- 60 Grams of Coffee
- Water at 201 Degrees Fahrenheit

1) Pour a small amount of water over the grinds, just enough to wet the coffee (i.e. bloom). Roughly about 100 g of water, which should be achieved in 15 seconds. Let steep.
2) At 45 second mark, recommence pour, pour only in the center. You want the water lifting the coffee, but not puddling.

Some folks like the pulse pour best (I keep time at the Big Central Brewer's Cup and most use this) but I prefer the continuous pour, keeping the pour in the center, about the size of a silver dollar.

Lots of ways to achieve the same end. Enjoy.
-----
LMWDP #339

CrucialCoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by CrucialCoffee (original poster) »

I'm liking your time and temperature. Thanks for replying. Definitely another handy method to achieve a nice brew. Greatly appreciate the post.

endlesscycles

#4: Post by endlesscycles »

Around the house, our simple recipe uses two pours and little precision yielding a great cup.

36g coffee
600g water taken to the boil
1st pour is vigorous and intended to wet the heck out of the coffee. Not measured, but maybe 200g.
2nd pour comes after the bloom deflates and is intended to sink the grounds first, then cover them.
Wait till it's done.

Being intense and precise with "excellent" technique has yielded hardly better cups.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Run2Joe

#5: Post by Run2Joe »

I do a medium grind of 40g, put it into a pre-wetted filter then on to the scale. Hit tare.
About 80g of water for the first pour and two or three subsequent pours for a final weight of 600g.
I pour onto a spoon to spread the water evenly over the grounds.
Water is 201 or 202 degrees and I put it back on the heater plate to keep the temperature up before the last pour. With a medium grind, the water goes through the grounds pretty quickly.
When I pull the filter and coffee off, the reading on the scale goes down to about 480g. I get a fine, bright cup of coffee with no bitterness.

bmock

#6: Post by bmock »

CrucialCoffee wrote:Wanted to post a handy Chemex Brewing recipe or anyone struggling with their brew or perhaps looking to get into Chemex Coffee.

Hope this helps!
Boldjava wrote:Excellent guidance Jim.

And the same with a KONE3 coupled with the Chemex.

Here's the recipe that works best for me for 1 quart finished coffee.

Whats your guys total brew times?

Thanks

Boldjava

#7: Post by Boldjava »

3:30? Though I haven't timed it in many, many moons. Total zen and what the brew calls for -- never drown the beans.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
Run2Joe

#8: Post by Run2Joe »

I timed it this morning: six minutes. That includes the 30 seconds for the initial "bloom." I am surprised that it is so long. BTW, I also agitate the vessel a few times during the brew-primarily to keep the scale from timing out. I agitate by tapping the scale plate.

#9: Post by CrucialCoffee (original poster) »

bmock wrote:Whats your guys total brew times?

Thanks
I've been able to get 4 minutes and change, but usually take my time. I love the whole process behind Chemex brewing and regardless of how bad I need a nice cup of coffee in the morning it's always worth the wait. Probably on average 5 to 6 minutes including the bloom.

#10: Post by CrucialCoffee (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:3:30? Though I haven't timed it in many, many moons. Total zen and what the brew calls for -- never drown the beans.
Couldn't agree more. It's quite the peaceful process and a nice beginning to any morning.