Chemex Brewing Tips - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster »

I wasn't happy with the brew times of 1 liter pots in my Chemex, so I bought a Kone filter, which improved the pour times. A good grinder helped too. Another approach to large pots is to pour through as much water as will pour in your target brew time (say you'd like to keep it closer to 5 minutes than 10 minutes) and then add the rest of the hot water after you pull the filter. This is bypass brewing and is done all the time (and automatically) with commercial pot brewers. This should help prevent any over-extraction of the coffee.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

CrucialCoffee (original poster)

#22: Post by CrucialCoffee (original poster) »

yakster wrote:I wasn't happy with the brew times of 1 liter pots in my Chemex, so I bought a Kone filter, which improved the pour times.
Do you find that by going the stainless steel filter route that the taste of your coffee is a bit richer? For me the oils really come through and give the brew a nice full-flavor.

endlesscycles

#23: Post by endlesscycles »

SlowRain wrote:I'm not sure I fully understand. You're saying the filters aren't designed to handle an amount of water above the neck of 750ml? The water somehow can't flow through the coffee bed, irrespective of the grind size? Would this also be a problem with the 13-cup (65oz.) one as well?

The fines created from grinding migrate to the filter pores and clog them. This is irrespective of grinder or brew volume. Brews approaching or surpassing 750ml brew water (and the 40g coffee involved) tend to clog the filter. Bypass brewing is an entirely effective workaround.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

SlowRain

#24: Post by SlowRain »

Is it also a problem with metal filters?

Boldjava

#25: Post by Boldjava replying to SlowRain »

Not in my experience. And the cup is richer with oils and proteins. Love the cup and have moved away from paper filters totally. Your tastes may differ.
-----
LMWDP #339

yakster
Supporter ♡

#26: Post by yakster »

I do find the metal filtered cup richer and more flavorful.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

#27: Post by CrucialCoffee (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:Not in my experience. And the cup is richer with oils and proteins. Love the cup and have moved away from paper filters totally. Your tastes may differ.
Couldn't agree more. Everyone does have their own tastes, but in regards to filters stainless steel is a solid way to go. You're able to cut down on waste and create a bolder flavor.

clynch

#28: Post by clynch »

I have the 10 cup chemex. My brew time is 6 to 7 minutes. I brew two ways. Steep, then fill to top and keep dripping till the pots fill. The grinds cling to the sides of the filter. Another method is i add water in a turbulent manner. I don't sir but I let the water drop to half way then add more while washing the grind from the sides. In this method the grinds will all sink to the bottom and brewing time takes longer for the last fill. Water is applied just of the boil. I'm not meticulous with amount of water but I do fill the pot. Sometimes I stop just below the neck and add water. All variations produce a great pot. I use chemex filters. I have yet to make a pot I didn't like. I've used the pot three times a day for about three months. I also have the three cup chemex. It works great too. I've recently taken to brewing the three cupper and putting it into the refrigerator. i keep it on hand and poor over ice when I want iced coffee. Yumm.
Charlie

#29: Post by CrucialCoffee (original poster) replying to clynch »

That's definitely an interesting brew method and the timing isn't bad on it either considering the pout method. Is the end brew on the heavy and bold side? What kind of roasts do you prefer when using your Chemex?

HB
Admin

#30: Post by HB »

Forum members, please be aware that CrucialCoffee sells coffee filters and he's already been warned not to promote his company's products in the forums. I have no doubt every vendor feels their product is the best, but to prevent a soft-sell onslaught, we ask that vendors exercise restraint in the forums. This is explained in Vendor participation in the forums.
CrucialCoffee wrote:I agree with you in regards to that 'paper filter taste'. We go the route of Stainless Steel filters for Chemex. Even when moistening the paper filters it tastes chemically.
CrucialCoffee wrote:Stainless steel is the way to go! Couldn't agree more.
CrucialCoffee wrote:Do you find that by going the stainless steel filter route that the taste of your coffee is a bit richer? For me the oils really come through and give the brew a nice full-flavor.
CrucialCoffee wrote:Couldn't agree more. Everyone does have their own tastes, but in regards to filters stainless steel is a solid way to go. You're able to cut down on waste and create a bolder flavor.
CrucialCoffee wrote:The beans themselves are quite oily (I use stainless steel filters) so a ton of flavor comes across in my brews. Been mainly brewing with my Chemex recently.
CrucialCoffee wrote:Definitely go the route of stainless steel and plastic drippers. Make sure your grind is fine and really let those oils come through in the flavor. If you guys are interested we make a high quality filter designed to fit Chemex 6, 8 & 10 Cup Coffee Makers.
Dan Kehn