Chemex (6 Cup) Brew Time for 12oz (350ml)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
malakchris

#1: Post by malakchris »

I've recently upgraded to the encore grinder and it has produced a much more consistent grind from my hand grinder, but I've noticed that my timing has been reduced a lot with the new grinder. I was hitting 3:30-4:00 minutes consistently with the hario skerton and now I'm at something closer to 2:30. I've set it between a 19-21 (with the internal neutral slot) and even 19 (which seem too fine and doesn't produce a very good cup) doesn't even get me to 3 minutes. Is this just the nature of a drink of this size? I appreciate any help.

idrinkjetfuel

#2: Post by idrinkjetfuel »

The more consistent grind of the Encore will account for the shorter time interval. If the Skerton is producing grind particles of varying sizes, the finer particles gravitate downward during the pour essentially slowing the process. If the Encore is producing more uniform and similar sized particles, the flow rate should be more consistent resulting in a faster pour. As a result you may need to adjust your water to bean ratio. I would recommend starting at 15:1 and adjust from there.