Chemex - 3 Strikes (Breaks) and You are Out...

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Boldjava

#1: Post by Boldjava »

I use a Chemex 6-cup glass handle/KONE 3 set up. I love it or should I say loved it until the 3rd one broke last night at the hand of my wife.

This is the 3rd one which has broken. I broke the first and second ones by banging the tip of the KONE into the upper rim of the brewer. Just a quick tap and it cracked. It must have to do with stressed glass of some sort.

I am letting the Chemex go. I am going to move to the equipment on hand, a ceramic quart pot and the Hario 02 ceramic dripper. We will see how that works out.

Image is from another victim whose fate is similar to mine.

-----
LMWDP #339

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by dumpshot »

A moment of silence...

Suggestion: I have a Driver filter (Kone clone). It comes with a nifty metal holder that you set the filter into. You can then set the Kone over any kind of serving vessel. Not as aesthetically pleasing as a Chemex, but eminently more functional. Wonder if you can buy just the holder?

Here is the link.
Pete
LMWDP #484

hipporun

#3: Post by hipporun »

:( Out of all the pour overs I've used, chemex has been my favorite, producing the best tasting and cleanest cup. Bummer they are so fragile. And compared to most other pourovers the brew time is unfortunately longer. That's not a deal breaker for me though.

Intrepid510

#4: Post by Intrepid510 »

I think it's time to double down and just buy the ceramic pot from Able. ;)

wsfarrell

#5: Post by wsfarrell »

hipporun wrote::( Out of all the pour overs I've used, chemex has been my favorite, producing the best tasting and cleanest cup. Bummer they are so fragile. And compared to most other pourovers the brew time is unfortunately longer. That's not a deal breaker for me though.
I agree, Chemex is best. I believe it's the paper, and have spent some time modifying Chemex filters to fit other (less breakable) brewers. Worth it, in my opinion.

Boldjava (original poster)

#6: Post by Boldjava (original poster) »

Intrepid510 wrote:I think it's time to double down and just buy the ceramic pot from Able. ;)
Nick, you made me chuckle. I had a grey one in the cart; then the white one. Then I looked at my check book balance, closed the site went to the pantry, rummaged through and found that quart ceramic pitcher.
-----
LMWDP #339

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I've had equally bad luck with breaking Chemexes as Dave, broke a couple with the Coava Kone (first with the sharp point of the Gen 1 and then I got the edge of the Kone stuck under the rim of the Chemex and broke it trying to pry it loose. I'm not sure if the count is up to three or four broken Chemexes.

I've had good luck too, I seem to find a Chemex in thrift stores about every three years or so, just recently picked up this 8 cup (to the right of my 10 cup) a day or two after someone else found one and posted about it on another forum. Maybe luck will come your way too.

Oddly, even though the Kalita Wave 185 style set carafe seems thinner, I haven't had any breaks with this brewer.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Intrepid510

#8: Post by Intrepid510 »

Boldjava wrote:Nick, you made me chuckle. I had a grey one in the cart; then the white one. Then I looked at my check book balance, closed the site went to the pantry, rummaged through and found that quart ceramic pitcher.
Yeah I think you will be better suited with the v60 for the replacement.

I like the design of the able ceramic pot, but like you my my bank acct isn't quite big enough to swallow the 100+ to end up shatter in my kitchen sink.

brianl

#9: Post by brianl »

wsfarrell wrote:I agree, Chemex is best. I believe it's the paper, and have spent some time modifying Chemex filters to fit other (less breakable) brewers. Worth it, in my opinion.
I have since shifted to the clever with the filtropa white filters.

Intrepid510

#10: Post by Intrepid510 replying to brianl »

Do you like the thin filtropa filters? I find the paper too thin for me. I really enjoy the melitta whites the best. Altho I really would like to try the Kalita 'shop' filters, which are suppose to be really good.