Can anybody teach me the differences of pourover kettles?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Tonybaby

#1: Post by Tonybaby »

I am preparing to practice hand brewing. What kind of pour over kettle is better?
I saw some people is using different kettles other than gooseneck kettle, but I don't know why.

thepilgrimsdream

#2: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

https://prima-coffee.com/blog/compariso ... ng-kettles Here is a little comparison.

Most any gooseneck will be good. Brewing larger volumes you'll want a larger Kettle obviously(700ml Chemex). Size, Temperature Control(if electric), and Flow Rate are pretty much the only factors unless youre picky about looks and feel. I use Bonavita, but also enjoy Hario at friends houses too

MCALheaven

#3: Post by MCALheaven »

I put too much stock in flow rate when I started pour overs. I think any small spouted goose neck will give you plenty of control. Next time I would buy stainless steel instead of copper.

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

Tonybaby wrote:I am preparing to practice hand brewing. What kind of pour over kettle is better?
Takahiro is the top of the line. https://prima-coffee.com/equipment/takahiro/kettle

We have done "pour-offs" in my home. The Takahiro has the finest pour (and even drip) control of any kettle out there. I would disagree with the other poster that any goose neck kettle offers sufficient control. The Hario was "first to market" and I was initially satisfied with it. When other kettles hit the market, I found that narrower tipped kettles offered better control and better cups. We each will differ on our opinion of that.

I use a 1.6L Tiamo kettle.(http://eng.tiamo-cafe.com.tw/ec99/eshop ... qzJgtBunIV). I like both the volume and the tip control it offers for pouring 1L in a Chemex/KONE arrangement. I have a Paico as a backup when we have events at our home (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stainless-Steel ... 4d2529eb76).

Good thread already on H-B here: Need a Pouring Kettle Recommendation
-----
LMWDP #339

day

#5: Post by day »

I had to jam some stuff into my hario spout to slow the flow down enough to be happy on my v60 #1. With larger size v60 it would work well, a thinner tip would also give better placement, but for larger batches the hario should do great stock.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster »

The brew method you use will affect how much control you'll need from your kettle, I gave up on the V60-01 in favor of more forgiving methods at work.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

SJM

#7: Post by SJM replying to yakster »

So, Chris what are you using now that is 'more forgiving'? I'd love to have something I could set up 2 or 3 of on the counter and do pourover comparisons, but my last pourover was that V60 and I just gave it all up in deference to a Technivorm (and I can't afford three of them....)

SonVolt

#8: Post by SonVolt »

MCALheaven wrote:I put too much stock in flow rate when I started pour overs. I think any small spouted goose neck will give you plenty of control. Next time I would buy stainless steel instead of copper.

I was looking at the copper monarch methods kettles. Which kettle do you have and why do think you'd have preferred stainless?

Matt44

#9: Post by Matt44 »

Boldjava wrote:Takahiro is the top of the line . . .the finest pour (and even drip) control of any kettle out there.
The Takahiro gets awesome reviews, and I've been seriously tempted to buy one. But I always see the recommendation NOT to heat water directly in the kettle. Any particular reason for that? It looks like it could handle that kind of heat. I don't think I'd get used to heating water separately and transferring to the kettle: it's an extra step, and also risks heat loss. Anyway, just wonderin'...

MCALheaven

#10: Post by MCALheaven »

I have a Kalita copper kettle lined with tin? Similar to metals of Turkish pots and traditional copper cookware I believe? Don't care for the discoloration of the interior, which is normal. Also it can't be heated past a certain temp or you can damage the interior metal. As a pour over it works amazingly. Very fine control. But I've changed my methods to where the fine control isn't as important to me anymore.