Bunn VPR Commercial Brewer Info

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

Hello All:

I got this Bunn VPR to encourage quality filter coffee with colleagues in my office. Interested never fully materialized, so I've sold it. Since I did spend some time servicing and getting to know it, I've revised this thread, which originally asked questions about it. This is a great workhorse for a moderately sized work group where you don't need to plumb in, you want something very easy to use, and temperature is somewhat adjustable. The adjustable thermostat is under the top cover, accessible by removing two small screws. If you find one of these inexpensively you can probably substitute a better temperature control to fine tune it. This would also be great for a large family. Unlike a home brewer, this one has a holding tank with enough capacity that when you pour in the amount you want to brew the shower head delivers hot water within 15 seconds. When I tested it at the home of its former owner, it made a delicious pot. It looked like it had been untouched for years and had accumulated a lot of scale, but it was still working just fine. If you've got a counter with overhanging cabinets, be aware that it's pretty tall. It would not have fit under the cabinets in our office break room.

This machine is still being manufactured with slightly different cosmetics. The user and service manuals are available from Bunn, and they have great technical support, which they don't charge for.

I'm new to this machine, so here were my questions for Bunn VPR (and similar) owners. I've noticed by your profiles that a number of H-B members have these. If anyone can answer these it will develop a nice informational thread.

1. Are Bunn VPRs best left on 24X7 or powered off on nights and weekends? The machine takes about 20 minutes to heat.

2. I'm using the Sweet Maria's instruction of 8 gm coffee to 5 oz water. What brew ratio do you like with this machine?

3. What's the smallest amount you recommend brewing at a time, and do you change the brew ratio for this? (The VPR has a holding tank of hot water, so when you pour in the volume you want hot water immediately emerges from the shower head.)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ripvanmd

#2: Post by ripvanmd »

I too have questions about the VPR that I was wondering if those with experience could answer:

1. Does the system work such that, with a full reservoir, the amont you pour in is what you get out? If left on 24/7 should one replenish the reservoir periodically to account for evaporation?

2. Presumably if my thoughts in #1 are correct, then by pouring in only six cups, you thereby make a six cup pot?

3. I purchased this for my office staff to use as they kept overflowing their mr coffee, leaving grounds in the reservoir. I think I've given up on them grinding and was wondering if someone can recommend and idiot proof way to dose for a 12cup pot in the VPR.

Thanks,

Brian

kaldi61

#3: Post by kaldi61 »

Pretty good machine. We used to have one in my office years back placed by an office coffee contract firm - it has given way to a Keurig. I am ambivalent about that because regardless of machine, we still had/have ancient pre-ground beans. Fresh beans would work in my office, but not a grinder. There is a positive in this - if you only have delicious coffee everywhere you go, you will struggle to fulfill the basic human need for something to grumble about. :wink:

Brian, you are right - you get out of the reservoir what you pour in once it has been filled to a certain preset which I think is a 12-cup pot but am not certain. If I recall, we had to pour a full pot into it, and then once full you add what you want to brew. Every morning we would add fresh water. It did work well but our office was about a 3-4 pot per day place and I don't think that's high volume enough to justify water sitting in 24-7. This is probably best for an all-nighter shop or small restaurant. Or if you have someone who cares who's tasked with ensuring freshness of water.
-Nelson

LMWDP #506 "It's not just for breakfast anymore."

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

In my recent experience with the VPR, I would get out what I would pour in. The quality of the brew was excellent. It lacked the ability to easily dial in temperature for different coffees as I can do with my BraZen brewer, but if my office would have gone for the machine I would probably have added a PID, which wouldn't be hard. There are more expensive brewers by Bunn and I expect others, all plumb-in, that allow you to set brew temperature using front panel controls.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ripvanmd

#5: Post by ripvanmd »

Thanks for the replies. I think that this machine may be more than my office needs (lot of blueberry cream flavored coffee despite my best efforts). Will trial it but then donate it to a church if not well used. I have a bonavita at work which only sees specialty coffee....