Bruvelo Coffee Brewer (Kickstarter)

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

While over on Kickstarter today checking the Invergo status update I noticed the Bruvelo Coffee Brewer. This seems like a much more well thought out project and a good presentation. It looks like they will have a hard time reaching their funding goal. It is worth going to the page and reading, looks like someone who did a lot of research and background work. It is another KS project though that really sets ambitious timelines. I know that in many IT shops I have worked in even getting an app written and released in his timeline would be a challenge, much less getting the machines built and delivered.

This one is a full bean to cup, and uses a scale that weighs to .1 grams, ceramic removable grinding burr, temp control. What do you think of the shower method for the water? I have never seen this setup on any other brewer.
LMWDP #371

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

I feel like a lot of new coffee devices are targeting market segments that don't really exist. Most people who want a fully integrated grinder and brewer like this are simply not willing to weigh coffee, period. That's based on past informal polls of friends, family, and acquaintances, and all my experience trying to educate people about good coffee. It's just not something the vast majority of the public will ever do.

As a home enthusiast who does weigh coffee, I question the quality of the grinder and whether an integrated appliance make sense. To me it's just a vast over-complication. Where is the market for this device?

Also, $500 retail? The competition is sub-$100 grind and brew appliances like this $90 Cuisinart model.
Chris

Advertisement
sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

$500 could work, but it will not be a large market. That is about the cost of the Bunn Trifecta MB.

WIFI connectivity? How about satellite connectivity? Some of this is getting out of hand.
Scott
LMWDP #248

CaffeineAndKilos38

#4: Post by CaffeineAndKilos38 »

I think this guy, invergo etc are heading for trouble with these products. I'd have to agree with Bob with their being a lack of demographic for these automated pour over machines. As an enthusiast I wouldn't even think about purchasing something like this, as I enjoy the process of my brews in the morning, and the inevitable loss of control and possibly quality loss of the cup. In my mind I am the machine that brew a solid cup, I don't need a machine. These products target those looking for convenience, however most people who are looking for convenience are not going to notice the difference between an automatic pour over and a hand pour over. I'm fact I think it would be difficult to convince enough consumers to leave their drip machines for something like this

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

Believe it or not, I'm also a coffee enthusiast. I, however, believe that the convenience of a product like Invergo that could take the tedious task of pouring water onto grinds out of the prep is well worth it's price. I look for products to make preparing coffee at work much more convenient than a 10-15 minute prep routine. The possible loss in quality is of little consequence to me at work.

I like the idea of Bruvelo. But, I'm hesitant to try products that are "all-in-ones".
LMWDP #670

Fausto

#6: Post by Fausto »

Just saw a new version launched while poking around Kickstarter. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/10 ... escription

I like it quite a bit, but it's not perfect. Personally I love the idea of an all-in-one brewer. Currently I use a combination of a mini bonavita kettle, a thermometer, an aeropress, and a porlex to make coffee at work or while camping. Does it make good coffee - yes, but it's a lot of work. If I could make as good coffee using my own beans at the touch of a button without taking up too much room, then why not!

He seems damn serious, and obviously determined, and I have a feeling that if it get's funded it will actually make it to market.

I think the overall design of the machine looks sound, but it might be a little too dumbed down for the enthusiast community. There are only two grind settings - which he calls paper and metal - I imagine the metal filter grind is coarser, the grinder is ceramic and likely no better than my Porlex, you can't adjust the temp or the brew volume, it can't run off a battery - yet.

That being said, this brewer does a lot right, it's small, it uses the same filters as an Aeropress - metal or paper, it's quick, while it's ratios/temps aren't adjustable - they are all at least within the standard range of proper brewing, it's electric - the Cafflano Klassic has peaked my interest in the past - but needing separate hot water means its not really all that much more efficient than my current setup.

So I don't know what to make of it, I think it might just be great, although I know it could be better. I think a Bunn Trifecta will probably make better coffee, albeit more expensively and without grinding for you. I don't think I'll be backing, but I'll be keeping a close eye on this one.

Edit: You can adjust the brew temp via the companion app. You can also vary the amount of beans, as the machine will simply keep the grinder on until there's nothing left in the hopper.

Shife

#7: Post by Shife »

I like the idea and form factor. It would be perfect for the office where I normally use an Aeropress. I have serious concerns about putting money down on electromechanical devices on Kickstarter. I've backed all sorts of things on Kickstarter - single use monocles, an axe, the Trinity One brewer, the Goat Mug, card games, music projects, etc- but I'm very hesitant to back something that plugs into a wall. They all seem to have serious issues getting product out the door.

I could see paying $200 for this once it's in production, but $300 for a prototype that may never come to fruition? Too much of a gamble for me.

Advertisement
Fausto

#8: Post by Fausto replying to Shife »

I hear ya (sorry I missed your reply), I haven't backed yet either. I really want to, it would be a great replacement for all the gear I use at work. Or better yet, my wife would also love one in her office I'm sure if it really turns out to be super easy (she'll happily drink excellent coffee all day, but has little interest in making it!) Anyway, I hope it get's funded. The fact that he cancelled the first project despite the fact that it was successfully funded (refunding everyone in the process) - gives me a lot more hope that he's really thought this through. He very clearly wants this to be a success and I think if his very high goal gets reached, he will succeed.

Shife

#9: Post by Shife »

Aaaaargh. After looking at it again, and because an idiot and his money are soon parted, I threw my hat in the ring. It's still quite a way from being funded.

Fausto

#10: Post by Fausto replying to Shife »

Well this idiot will likely be joining you before the campaign ends, but I would love a video seeing it in action, I wish the grinder was more adjustable (I also wish there was more information on the grinder in general). I also wish it wasn't $300, I realize these aren't quite comperable, but the Breville Grind Control is the same price, and is technically capable of single cups.

Edit: One more thing, I also wish it wasn't a full year out!! I know he's trying to be realistic, and it's obviously better to say October 2016 and meet it then to say July and delay it to October.