Bruer - Slow Drip Cold Brew Coffee

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

I just got my Bruer, it is a beautifully packaged device, the components are all of reasonable quality, the glass doesn't seem really strong. This is not high quality borosilicate, feels more like the glass that is used in a McDonald's free give away glass promotion. It for sure doesn't seem as high quality as the Hario glass in the new sommelier syphon I just got, but it is just a cold brewer, and it does the job well enough.

The good part is the design is excellent! The setup takes seconds, and the drip valve is a very intelligent design. Also, cleaning it is the easiest I have ever had with any cold brew device, the "tower type" drippers with narrow necks, spiral glass, and long tubes make me want to never get them dirty. Once the Bruer is finished brewing I can dump the grounds and clean the brew tower in about 30 seconds. The dual purpose lid that loosely covers during brewing and then air tight seals the service pitcher is a cool touch, and I can leave the coffee in the refrigerator without any fear of it absorbing odors.

This is all at a price of $75USD, and 10% off with a coupon offered on their website. That is a very fair price for a brew tower, similar price or cheaper than the smaller Hario dripper.

Now for some cold brew coffee personal opinion, just my 2 cents!
I drink a lot of cold brew, and I have seen the threads here on H-B about just throwing the coffee in a mason jar and pouring it through a sock making great cold brew, but for me immersion brings out a funky taste I do not like. Ice drip cold brew to me tastes a lot cleaner and I can detect more subtle flavors and delicate notes. Immersion cold brew to me is great for getting a really heavy body and almost whiskey like taste profile, but it is also overpowering, and I have to water it down or add ice. I will grind finer on the next batch and up the ratio a little more maybe 1:10, rather than 1:12 and see if I can get the volume a little louder on my next batch, but this Aricha is a very nice subtle fruity brew I could drink all day.

So easy even a two year old can do it!

60 grams fresh roasted Aricha, drip grind

700 grams water and ice.
Brew time was around 5 hours, and it tastes very nice, fruity, light acidity, mellow caramel, no funk.

On a different topic, I wanted to mention a very nice thing that happened to me yesterday. I ordered a new Hario syphon off of eBay and the seller was the nicest eBayer I have ever encountered! He sent me a packet of tea, two origami birds, and a long hand written note thanking me for my purchase, I was astounded. If you ever need something from his store on eBay I highly recommend him. eBay user ID: Fantgoodspeed
LMWDP #371

earlyadoptr

#2: Post by earlyadoptr »

I use cold filtered water straight from the fridge door instead of ice & water. It works great.

Also, the carmel frap recipe from allrecipes makes for a tasty iced coffee.

Enjoy your Bruer.