Broke my Hario V60... pourover suggestions? - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Nomadic_Lemon

#21: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

I have no personal experience of using a v60 filter with a Chemex, but in this video Tom from SM demonstrates that it is possible. He's using an 8 cup Chemex with a Bonmac filter (that's made to be used with a v60 so it's the same size).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-NdnGS1XvU

aecletec

#22: Post by aecletec »

After some playing, I found the filter works better with quite a coarse grind otherwise it seems to trap the air inside the Chemex as it sticks to the walls and spout quite well. This slows the brew time and air can be seen slowly bubbling up from the sides of the filter. The issue can be remedied with, say, a chopstick placed in the spout end but I prefer to keep the filter in the Kone I have.
The v60 filter itself offers much less flow resistance than the Chemex filters I have used - I say this because I can use a much finer grind with a dump pour style e.g. approx from memory 23@2:30min vs 30@3:30min. Plus the flow is much faster in a regular circular pour style at a given grind.

I found that I have to rinse the v60 filter more carefully than I would with a Chemex filter or it would fall in; no big deal.

unix04 (original poster)

#23: Post by unix04 (original poster) replying to aecletec »

interesting project :) i don't have a Kone, so it looks like it might be too much trouble to try brewing on chemex with hario filters. I received a crate and barrel gift card last night, and I know they sell chemex/hario. Looks like maybe chemex will be my next purchase. I'm dragging this out more than I should. Analysis paralysis they say... thanks for the info!

aecletec

#24: Post by aecletec replying to unix04 »

You're most welcome. I found the chemex filters restrictive in the grind size able to be used effectively so that's why I got the v60s and kone. I probably wouldn't recommend a chemex on my personal experience but many have had success.

unix04 (original poster)

#25: Post by unix04 (original poster) »

So I ended up with a chemex and a plastic v60. Chemex brews thus far have been pretty decent. Still dialing it in but it's been a pretty smooth transition.

Btw... clever dripper lid also works on the 6 cup chemex! Perfectly fits! Hehehe

Nomadic_Lemon

#26: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

I also have a Chemex now which I'm loving! It's great being able to brew and serve in the same vessel. I have the 8 cup version and it's got great capacity for serving coffee to small groups when people come round to visit.

I have used v60 02 size filters with the 8 cup Chemex with success, you just have to use it with care! I've found that the v60 03 size filters are ideal, and sit really nicely in the top of the Chemex with the edge of the filter protruding slightly above the top edge of the glass. I would recommend these filters to anyone wanting to use paper filters with a Chemex.

Jaxx2112

#27: Post by Jaxx2112 »

Nomadic_Lemon wrote: I have used v60 02 size filters with the 8 cup Chemex with success, you just have to use it with care! I've found that the v60 03 size filters are ideal, and sit really nicely in the top of the Chemex with the edge of the filter protruding slightly above the top edge of the glass. I would recommend these filters to anyone wanting to use paper filters with a Chemex.
Over the normal paper Chemex filters? Why not just use a V-60 03 and a range server then-- or is it just a case of using functional art to get the desired resultant?

Nomadic_Lemon

#28: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

The trouble with the Chemex filters is that they're so thick that you get a lot of paper filter taste. The Hario filters are much thinner so with rinsing the paper filter taste is negligible. This is just my personal preference.

As to the V60 03 and a range server, I could use this instead with similar results but I do enjoy the aesthetics of the Chemex. I enjoy being able to brew and serve in the same vessel, and the flexibility of filter type. (The Chemex can be used with paper, metal or cloth filters). The flat wall of the Chemex where the filter rests against the glass should in theory lead to a more even/thorough extraction, (depending on which school of thought you subscribe to), because water can't drain through the filter at the top and down the side of the vessel without coming into contact with the coffee, as it can with other ridged pourover methods. (But of course this is debatable and a whole different discussion so we probably shouldn't go there!).

The 8 cup Chemex can hold more liquid than many range servers making it great when you are serving larger groups of people, and as I mentioned before I prefer the aesthetics to many range servers - although I do have a glass carafe that I use with the Clever Coffee Dripper (and sometimes with V60) which I also enjoy as a serving vessel.

So that's my reasoning for using the Chemex as I do. It just comes down to personal preference really, and having a setup that suits the way I like to prepare and serve my coffee.

CaffeineAndKilos38

#29: Post by CaffeineAndKilos38 »

I just got myself a beehouse off of four barrel's site and I couldn't be happier with it! It's my favorite pour over equipment so far, if you're still looking, or don't mind adding to your collection I definitely recommend it

unix04 (original poster)

#30: Post by unix04 (original poster) replying to CaffeineAndKilos38 »

I thought about getting one, but I couldn't help myself and got the Wave not long after the Chemex. Nowadays, most of my time goes into the Clever/Wave. I do Chemex occasionally, but often times I sit my Wave on top of the Chemex to brew 700+ ml batches :P

Maybe I should focus on saving for something else... I've recently been dabbling with teas as well