Broke my Hario V60... pourover suggestions? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
unix04 (original poster)

#11: Post by unix04 (original poster) »

Lots of good suggestions! Thank you! I am likely going to stick with one of the v60/chemex/kalita path, if only because of the wealth of info here to work off of, but I have researched them all since yesterday

Given that...my typical batch sizes range between 18g/300ml and 32g/500ml. What size brewers are optimal for this? I usually just buy the bigger brewer but seems each have their own sweet spots.

jaybar

#12: Post by jaybar »

Hi

I would also suggest Chemex. I find it easier to use than a Kalitas and way easier that a V60. I would suggest a 5 cup and blown Chemex. The five cup could easily accommodate both you batch sizes. The six cup classic or glass handle could also handle both batch sizes, but would be less optimal for the smaller batch size. Cleanup is a breeze, particularly if you get the glass handle model. Chemex also makes a 1-3 cup for smaller batches. Keep in mind the brewers are all glass.

Jay

Advertisement
endlesscycles

#13: Post by endlesscycles »

#1 V-60 maxes out at 30g dose. Keeping the distance from your pour to the brewbed minimal is key, and something the smallest brewer possible permits that others don't.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Nomadic_Lemon

#14: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

No one seems to have mentioned anything about re-usable filters yet... Such as the Kone by Able Brewing, or the "Driver" (http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Stainless- ... 00GIOOUQW/).

The stand the Driver comes with looks like it could hold a Kone or any other cone shaped filter over your vessel of choice eliminating the need for any other kind of brewer to hold the filter in place.

My current go-to brewing set up is a plastic V60 with the Kone. (Version 3 I believe). The Kone was originally designed to fit in the top of the Chemex but it fits just fine in my V60.

I like the Kone for a number of reasons. It lets more of the aromatic oils through compared to a paper filter so there is more 'bite' or body to the cup, while still giving a very clean taste. Inevitably there are some fines that also make it through the filter into the cup but the amount is sufficiently small that you don't really notice it. It's pretty durable, made of stainless steel with a plastic rim, there is no paper filter taste (because it's not paper!), and because it's re-usable you only have to buy it once. It's more environmentally friendly and cheaper over the long run, so if you haven't thought about it already then it's worth considering...

In the not too distant future I'm planning to purchase a Chemex to use with it, not because it will taste any different but I just like the aesthetics 8)

I've heard good things about the Driver too, but I have no personal experience with it. There was a thread about it a little while ago here: Driver Metal Coffee Filter

jaybar

#15: Post by jaybar »

There is some medical/scientific research to suggest that coffee prepared with other than a paper filter, could help to raise cholesterol. If that is an issue, read the research and decide accordingly.

Jay

unix04 (original poster)

#16: Post by unix04 (original poster) »

Nomadic_Lemon wrote:No one seems to have mentioned anything about re-usable filters yet... Such as the Kone by Able Brewing, or the "Driver" (http://www.amazon.com/Driver-Stainless- ... 00GIOOUQW/).

The stand the Driver comes with looks like it could hold a Kone or any other cone shaped filter over your vessel of choice eliminating the need for any other kind of brewer to hold the filter in place.

My current go-to brewing set up is a plastic V60 with the Kone. (Version 3 I believe). The Kone was originally designed to fit in the top of the Chemex but it fits just fine in my V60.

I like the Kone for a number of reasons. It lets more of the aromatic oils through compared to a paper filter so there is more 'bite' or body to the cup, while still giving a very clean taste. Inevitably there are some fines that also make it through the filter into the cup but the amount is sufficiently small that you don't really notice it. It's pretty durable, made of stainless steel with a plastic rim, there is no paper filter taste (because it's not paper!), and because it's re-usable you only have to buy it once. It's more environmentally friendly and cheaper over the long run, so if you haven't thought about it already then it's worth considering...

In the not too distant future I'm planning to purchase a Chemex to use with it, not because it will taste any different but I just like the aesthetics 8)

I've heard good things about the Driver too, but I have no personal experience with it. There was a thread about it a little while ago here: Driver Metal Coffee Filter
Thanks for the suggestion, but having tried the Kone brew before, it's a bit too much body if you know what I mean. I'm looking for a cleaner up (than the Kone), but not sure whether going the other extreme in the Chemex will be what I want on a more frequent basis.

I was really close to pulling the trigger on the kalita wave, but the price has started to turn me off from it a bit. I already spend a lot on the beans, not sure if I want to pay triple the cost of the melitta's or double that of the hario filters (although I guess chemex falls into the expensive filter category). Someone suggested a beehouse, which many people seem to like, but I'm not sure what makes beehouse better than any other V shaped device?

I got a plastic v60 and a kuissential ceramic knockoff (same price!!!) in my cart as my fallback solution. I won't buy both, but $8 v60 knockoff in ceramic seemed like a deal worth the risk :)

Intrepid510

#17: Post by Intrepid510 »

endlesscycles wrote:+1

V60#1: $6. Buy several.
+2

It's just so simple, and make sure to just get the v60. Most of the other filters are not v60 knockoffs, look at the ridges. They are designed off an early version from a different company.

Advertisement
Nomadic_Lemon

#18: Post by Nomadic_Lemon »

The plastic v60s are so cheap and accessible that if you're into pourover and brewed coffee why would you not have one?! I prefer the #2 because I'm often brewing coffee for two people or more so the extra size is useful.

You could use a Chemex with v60 filter papers... Actually Tom from Sweet Maria's recommends doing this over using the Chemex filters because the v60 filters are thiner and so there is far less paper filter taste. Cheaper cost of filters could be another bonus!

unix04 (original poster)

#19: Post by unix04 (original poster) replying to Nomadic_Lemon »

Do v60-02 filters stick sufficiently on a 6/8 cup chemex? Also v60 allows coffee to flow out the side, and but on the chemex they now are all forced down the center. How does this affect the brew? Would I go coarser from the drip grind that I use for the hario?

Given that the plastic v60 is so cheap, I guess I could get both, and mount the v60 on the chemex when i want a v60 brew, or use a chemex filter for the lighter cup. hmmmmmm.. :)

aecletec

#20: Post by aecletec »

The v60 02 filter might stick but it seemed so much more fragile while I was rinsing that I didn't want to risk it falling down in my 6 cup.
It works great when placed into a kone (with the tip folded over), however.

I have some low quality coffee I can experiment with tomorrow, however, if you like.