Brewing Method Recommendations for Book

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
CaptainCowpie

#1: Post by CaptainCowpie »

I am putting together a small ebook for a 30 day challenge and wanted to get some opinions from the group. The book will be aimed at those who are looking for a relatively quick and easy method to get better coffee, not the fanatics like us. :D

The book will outline things like fresh coffee, good water, water ratio, temperature etc. Then there will be a section that will describe what type of equipment a person would need based on type of coffee they want, budget, and special conditions like office workers and traveling.

When I (quickly) decided on this topic, I thought it would be easy to write as I have been reading about and using this type of equipment for years. But trying to actually write the book showed me that I have not kept up with things as much lately, and not in the detail that I used to.

So I was hoping to get recommendations. I am looking for specific grinders and brewing equipment, but not espresso at this time. The breakdowns will be something like this:

$60 Budget:
Hario Mini
Aeropress or
Clever Coffee or
French Press

$150 Budget:
Baratza Encore
Aeropress or
Bonavita Immersion or
French Press or
Chemex for larger amounts

$300 Budget:
Baratza Virtuoso
Same brewers as above

$500 Budget:
Baratza Preciso
Same brewers as above or
Technivorm Moccamaster
(maybe Bonavita?)

Unlimited Budget:
Not really sure?

Office Worker:
Hario Mini
Aeropress or
Clever Coffee

Traveller:
Hario Mini
Aeropress

Other Categories?:

Most of these are what I recommend to friends who ask me. But I am guessing there are newer alternatives for some of these categories. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vince

Intrepid510

#2: Post by Intrepid510 »

No point on the Preciso recommendation. Unless you like having a weaker adjustment ring that will break easier than the Virtuoso for everything except espresso.

tamarian

#3: Post by tamarian »

CaptainCowpie wrote: Unlimited Budget:
Not really sure?
A Blossom brewer, a Clover, or an Alpha Dominche Steampunk. Or all of them, for variety.

For grinding, a Marco Uber Grinder, or Ditting Model KFA1403.. Both, for backup. :D

Marshall

#4: Post by Marshall »

CaptainCowpie wrote:The book will be aimed at those who are looking for a relatively quick and easy method to get better coffee, not the fanatics like us.

$60 Budget:
Hario Mini
Aeropress or
Clever Coffee or
French Press
If you really mean "not the fanatics like us," forget manual grinding. You will lose 90% of your readers right there. An electric blade grinder, especially if it is shaken while grinding, is what you want for the under $60 budget.
Marshall
Los Angeles

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#5: Post by orphanespresso »

I wouldn't leave hand grinders out of the upper categories - people hand grind coffee for many reasons, sometimes not related to coffee at all, and there are several better grinders than a Hario Mini.

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by dumpshot »

orphanespresso wrote:and there are several better grinders than a Hario Mini.
Hmmmmm... I wonder which ones.
LMWDP #484

CaptainCowpie (original poster)

#7: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) »

Intrepid510 wrote:No point on the Preciso recommendation. Unless you like having a weaker adjustment ring that will break easier than the Virtuoso for everything except espresso.
I wasn't aware there were problems with the Preciso. Anything in that price range that could replace it?

#8: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) »

tamarian wrote:A Blossom brewer, a Clover, or an Alpha Dominche Steampunk. Or all of them, for variety.

For grinding, a Marco Uber Grinder, or Ditting Model KFA1403.. Both, for backup. :D
Yeah, I should have thought about the Clover and Blossom. Never heard of the Dominiche but it looks like a great machine.

#9: Post by CaptainCowpie (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:If you really mean "not the fanatics like us," forget manual grinding. You will lose 90% of your readers right there. An electric blade grinder, especially if it is shaken while grinding, is what you want for the under $60 budget.
That is a point that I've mulled over a bit. I just have a hard time recommending a whirly blade grinder because of all of their drawbacks. The under $60 is a tough price range but I know there are people looking in that category.

Netphilosopher

#10: Post by Netphilosopher replying to CaptainCowpie »

But there are techniques and methods that are less sensitive to grind. (note: I said "LESS" not "INsensitive")

If you're careful, you can still get a whirlyblade coffee chopper to work fine for French Press.