Brewing coffee at work, simplified

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TomC
Team HB

#1: Post by TomC »

I bought the new acrylic carafe/measuring cup from Sweet Maria's last week and I have to say, I'm really happy with it and how much it simplifies my travelling brewing gear that I take to work.

When used in conjunction with the Clever brewer, it does the job of three separate vessels. And it's BPA free and can get banged around unlike glass which is of course heavier and more fragile (neither trait wanted in a portable kit).

Its roughly but clearly graduated in easy to see 50cc steps, so I can measure directly in it and it's microwave safe. It also works perfectly for pouring into the Clever with its comfortable handle and no drip pour. Last but not least it works fine as an easy to clean lightweight serving vessel that the brew easily drains into. Win-win -win for me.

Not wanting to carry glass and yet have something suitable to microwave water in (no spot for a electric kettle in crowded hospital breakrooms) really narrows the choices down. My previous solution was to cut down a silicone measuring container so it would fit inside even small microwaves, but that solution also led to nearly burned fingers since it had no handle.

This seems like a great option for folks in the same situation as me at work, or on the go. And for only $8 it's pretty hard to beat. When I'd make coffee in our breakroom, I'd always get a few colleagues interested in trying some. What I had to do before was drain the brew into a separate aluminum travel mug and reiterate that it wasn't the mug I was drinking out of, so they didn't have to ponder the question of whether we'd be sharing germs. So the measuring cup since it also has a nice handle, makes it much easier for them to see that I'm not offering coffee from a vessel that I'm also drinking out of.

I had bought it to replace the similar kind of carafe that came with my Bunn Trifecta, which it fits perfectly and I don't get sputtering brew drips all over the counter since it's actually taller, it's an upgrade there too. I had searched in vain for a cheap replacement previously and most were glass.

I'm probably going to buy a second one as a backup and see if they might be partially stackable, if so, then two would open up possibilities of doing simple lightweight pour overs as well, but 99% of the time I'm going with the Clever at work anyway.

Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

bmock

#2: Post by bmock »

Excuse the pun but I find that setup pretty "clever"! That looks very cool. I need a setup for my work. Working in lawn care I need to find away to brew in my truck! Often in the warm months I'll pack a thermos of cold brew.

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Looks nice Tom. BTW, love the purse too! :D
Scott
LMWDP #248

leon

#4: Post by leon »

Nice simple setup. What are you using for a grinder?

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by TomC (original poster) »

sweaner wrote:Looks nice Tom. BTW, love the purse too! :D
:mrgreen:

TomC (original poster)
Team HB

#6: Post by TomC (original poster) »

leon wrote:Nice simple setup. What are you using for a grinder?
Most often the Feldgrind.

Larz

#7: Post by Larz »

Thanks for the heads up on that Tom; its exactly what im looking for.

Tony_Lotts

#8: Post by Tony_Lotts »

Nice setup, and congrats on actually purchasing and receiving a Feldgrind. You are among the lucky few.