Bought a new cold dripper - now what?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Italyhound »

Summer's a comin'

So I just received this pretty Tiamo cold dripper from Orphan Espresso, although just a week later there is another model now listed on their site, but here is the unit (and instructions should you be able to read chinese).

http://web.tiamo-cafe.com.tw/ec99/eshop ... _id=HG2597

So it comes with no instructions and no filter. From searching here, it seems like the aeropress filters will be a good substitute. On other sites, the image of the dripper is next to a box of Tiamo #6 filters, but in the video the guy uses #3 filters - and two of them.

Although I don't trust google translate any further than I can throw it, the web site says 10g coffee for 100g h2o.

I am totally new to the realm of cold brewing. Can someone give me a hand with how I may work this baby? Proper brew ratio? 1 or 2 filters? Grind size in general (even more greedy - # on a ditting if you have one)? Mostly, or all ice, or mostly water with some ice? Is the idea to make a concentrate or full strength?

Thanks in advance for any help from the cold junkies :D

Evan

intown

#2: Post by intown »

How did the cold dripper work out?

Would you buy it again?

I have been thinking of a cold brew setup and curious about the best way to go.

Thanks! -- Steven

cygnusx1

#3: Post by cygnusx1 replying to intown »

I'm waiting on this to ship. Should be soon.

pacificmanitou

#4: Post by pacificmanitou »

I bought the replacement glass from Espresso Parts for a Tiamo dripper, and added my own frame, saved a bit over $100 this way. I used it a lot in the summer, but less as it cooled down. Its still nice to have for occasions when Id like some cold brew, and some coffees just come out beautifully in the system. In this weather it mostly sits on the bar and looks impressive, but I do enjoy it on a hot summer day, and its great for a group, or a significant other who gets up earlier than you in a house of manual brewing only.
LMWDP #366

Italyhound (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Italyhound (original poster) »

intown wrote:How did the cold dripper work out?

Would you buy it again?

I have been thinking of a cold brew setup and curious about the best way to go.

Thanks! -- Steven
I don't like it in the least.

The mechanism to adjust the flow doesn't work. If you set a rate, in a minute it will change or stop.

Avoid.

pacificmanitou

#6: Post by pacificmanitou replying to Italyhound »

On most cold drippers, the flow is adjusted continuously to account for the volume of water above the stopcock. Ive found that I can set the flow and leave it for the entire extraction if Im doing half a liter, or re-adjust halfway through for a liter. Some of the newer drippers have a secondary reservoir to counteract the need to adjust repeatedly. This unit appears to be one of them.
LMWDP #366