Bonavita PID Kettle - 1st Look - Page 5

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
RAS

#41: Post by RAS »

May have to try some crumpled-up aluminum foil...
Bob

yakster
Supporter ♡

#42: Post by yakster »

I wonder if you could just shove a piece from a clean stainless steel scouring pad in the gooseneck. You should be able to pull it out again with tweezers or pliers.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Sam21

#43: Post by Sam21 »

Just a heads up to you all - Prima Coffee received some prototype flow restrictors that Bonavita is working on for their kettles.

Bob_McBob

#44: Post by Bob_McBob »

I've been using my kettle for a couple of weeks now. I actually mostly got it to replace a Pino Digital kettle for Japanese green tea, not for coffee. It works very well for that, though I wish you didn't have to press the hold button again every time you remove it from the base.

I find the omission of a simple boil feature to be a really weird design oversight. You can set the temperature to 212F, and it will eventually boil, but the anti-overshoot feature of the controller slows down the boiling speed considerably. Did I miss something or is this really the only way to get boiling water?

Side note: I've had to explain to two separate new owners that the electric cord isn't only a foot long. They sure hide it well in the base.
Chris

rlevine

#45: Post by rlevine »

Prima sent me the prototype flow restictor for the Bonavita to test out. It's a little silicon plug with a hole through the middle that you jam into the base of the spout (where it connects to the kettle). It's a little tight - a little tough to get in place. And once it's in? It's VERY restricting. It's good if you like to do a slow constant pour. It's a little more restricting that I'd like, but not too bad. It would definitely be less than optimal for brewing Aeropress, Clever, or French Press.
Here's a photo of it from a few different angles, as well as a shot of it inserted in the kettle.

-Randy

Bob_McBob

#46: Post by Bob_McBob »

Has anyone else smelled inside their kettle? The rubber gasket around the temperature probe seems to have a very strong and off-putting odour. It's especially bad after the kettle has sat empty for a little while.
Chris

dustin360

#47: Post by dustin360 »

Bob_McBob wrote:I've been using my kettle for a couple of weeks now. I actually mostly got it to replace a Pino Digital kettle for Japanese green tea, not for coffee. It works very well for that, though I wish you didn't have to press the hold button again every time you remove it from the base.

I find the omission of a simple boil feature to be a really weird design oversight. You can set the temperature to 212F, and it will eventually boil, but the anti-overshoot feature of the controller slows down the boiling speed considerably. Did I miss something or is this really the only way to get boiling water?

Side note: I've had to explain to two separate new owners that the electric cord isn't only a foot long. They sure hide it well in the base.
Hmm.. That does sound weird. I get mine tomorrow, ill see if i cant figure out an easier way. All though this will be a pour over kettle for me, so I wont be setting it to boil often.

rlevine

#48: Post by rlevine »

Re: smell of the kettle.

Mine doesn't have any odor - off-putting or otherwise.

da gino

#49: Post by da gino »

Mine doesn't have any odor either.

I like the look of the restrictor. If you wanted a faster flow a drill bit should fix that with no trouble. I'm no sure if I'd want a restrictor or not, but I'd hve fun playing with one to see if it was desirable or not.

Sam21

#50: Post by Sam21 »

That restricter looks identical to what Barismo uses and their restricter works wonder on the Buono. That said, the flow restricter makes it so that it can only really be used for slow continuous pour pourovers.

The only kettle I have ever used that can do everything and then some, without a restricter, is the Kalita Wave kettle. It goes from a trickle to a torrent with little sensitivity. It has to do with the way the spout is created, or so I theorize.