Bonavita PID Kettle - 1st Look - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Marshall

#21: Post by Marshall »

Sherman wrote:If your pot is dispensing at 208F, it'll drop by the time it hits your vessel. When I was using my water boiler, the 208 setting routinely turned into 203 by the time it hit the grounds.
I think all the coffee brewing recommendations take that into account when they recommend a water temperature for drip brewing.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Bob_McBob

#22: Post by Bob_McBob »

I just got an e-mail from Clive Coffee with an order status update saying the kettles aren't expected to ship until August 20. They've also updated the product page to say "mid August" instead of July :(
Chris

Sam21

#23: Post by Sam21 replying to Bob_McBob »

That is really unfortunate! I was really looking forward to it arriving in a couple weeks. Patience...

EricBNC (original poster)

#24: Post by EricBNC (original poster) »

Might be worth the wait - I noticed a video demo on the Seattle Coffee Gear Youtube channel where an engineer for this kettle demonstrates features with Kat and Gail from SCG. In the review they show a timer feature my engineering sample did not have programmed in - when you lift off the kettle and hit the "+" button a timer starts counting up (4:40 in the video) so you can time your pour - very neat! :D
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

yakster
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by yakster »

I always wondered why you can't get good scales with timers. Having a timer on the Bonavita base is great... now if it had a built-in scale, it'd be about perfect.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Bob_McBob

#26: Post by Bob_McBob »

I got in touch with Clive Coffee about the August shipping date. It's apparently based on Bonavita's revised ETA by sea freight. CC is trying to get a shipment for July by air freight, and they'll update when they know more.
Chris

Sam21

#27: Post by Sam21 replying to Bob_McBob »

I saw that timer function and love it! It will make everything so much smoother when it comes to traveling with a kettle. No more thermometer or iPhone timer. It's all included!
Prima said the same thing about the changed ship date, but will update if that changes.

Bob_McBob

#28: Post by Bob_McBob »

Sam21 wrote:Prima said the same thing about the changed ship date, but will update if that changes.
It says "beginning of September" on Prima's site now :(

I haven't heard anything more from Clive Coffee about my kettle order. Their site still says mid-August.
Chris

dustin360

#29: Post by dustin360 »

Want... want... want... Both kettles look amazing! Ive used there standard electric kettle with out the pid and its great. Now why wont someone make a kettle that continues to hold its temp while you pour..... :D

Bak Ta Lo
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by Bak Ta Lo »

yakster wrote:I always wondered why you can't get good scales with timers. Having a timer on the Bonavita base is great... now if it had a built-in scale, it'd be about perfect.
Chris,

At the SCAE "Brew Bar" in Vienna Hario put out some beta units of their new pour over station with drip tray and a scale with timer. It is pretty cool, I begged the Hario guys to sell me one of the demo units, they would not even consider it, just lots of sorry sorry and bowing. They had them in the Hario booth as well on display, told me they would be on the market this summer. I have been looking at the Hario website in Japanese and English, but still have not seen it pop up.

Here is a shot of the beta unit.

Here is a shot of Capo, a barista from Hong Kong, using the new Hario pour over station. Pouring with the new Marco Uber boiler wand pourer. The valve on the wand is pressure sensitive to control flow rate, sweet.

The new Bonavita PID kettle with this station, and a Tanzania or a Bunn G1 would be a seriouly awesome pour over setup.

Jeremy
LMWDP #371