Bonavita as kettle for Chemex, Kalita, etc

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Arpi

#1: Post by Arpi »

Anybody else here uses the Bonavita 8-cup as a convenient kettle?

I use it for the Chemex 3-cup (with non chemex paper filters) and the stainless Kalita 185. It could be used with any other method that fits underneath. You get a timed poor that is convenient and expands the possibilities for experimentation.

Cheers

Riceman42

#2: Post by Riceman42 »

I am considering picking up a Bonavita 1900 to brew into a Chemex and/or Wave. How is the coffee tasting? Any reason to pass on it?

Arpi (original poster)

#3: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

Hi.

Only the little Chemex will fit (the big one won't). The little Chemex has a more vertical design (vertical smaller does) and it does not make a good cup with the Bonavita. IMO, the bonavita brewer works best with the Kalita 185 (flatter design) + the bonavita supplied kettle. But you may have to turn or more the grounds.

Cheers

Riceman42

#4: Post by Riceman42 »

I've seen several examples of a Chemex w/ Able Kone placed under the shower head of the bonavita coffee maker. All of my current coffee gear is manual, and it would be nice to have an automatic for those mornings when I don't have enough time to make coffee. It would also be great for brewing large batches when company is over.

Riceman42

#5: Post by Riceman42 »

The stainless steel carafe models provide enough vertical space for the 6 and 8 cup Chemex to fit underneath.

Arpi (original poster)

#6: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

Yes the big Chemex will fit. I just checked it. Not sure what I was thinking about when I said that.

Cheers

Riceman42

#7: Post by Riceman42 »

This week I've been playing around with the Bonavita 1900 brewing into a Chemex with the metal Driver filter. Brews have tasted decent so far. I've noticed that the shower head pours out fairly randomly/inconsistently, often from only about half of the holes.. especially with brews that have less than 1L of water. {I've been brewing 50g coffee : 750g h2o}

Anyone have similar experiences? The coffee is turning out okay but could be better.

-I understand that the brewer meets the SCAA's definition of evenly dispersing water upon the bed of grounds. I'm just wondering if what I am experiencing with my shower head is a defect or something to be expected.

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Riceman42 wrote:I've noticed that the shower head pours out fairly randomly/inconsistently, often from only about half of the holes.. especially with brews that have less than 1L of water....

Anyone have similar experiences? ... I'm just wondering if what I am experiencing with my shower head is a defect or something to be expected.
I think that's by design and even works that way with a full load. It must evenly wet the grounds rather than evenly distributing flow. I have only been using the standard filter holder, which has a flat bottom and seems to brew very well.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

wsfarrell

#9: Post by wsfarrell replying to drgary »

I'm wondering how it can evenly wet the grounds WITHOUT evenly distributing the flow.

Arpi (original poster)

#10: Post by Arpi (original poster) »

You could rotate the jar. You could also use a straw to move the grounds. You could add 30 seconds "preinfusion" by turning off the brewer and waiting then ON. But after playing around, the bonavita brewer is barely Ok (bad+) when compared to slow pour, swirling, up-down bloom, from a hario V60 buono kettle at the right temperature and dose on a kalita 185. That brings out flavors I cannot get on the bonavita no matter what.