Best milk to coffee ratio

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Idfixe

#1: Post by Idfixe »

Hi there, need a bit of help here. I'm at the point where I pull decent espressos. When comes the time to do a latte, I'm all over the place in terms of milk to coffee ratios... how much should it be? Should i pull a straight espresso and then add milk or should I do a different recipe?

Thanks for the help

h3yn0w

#2: Post by h3yn0w »

I beleive a "traditional" latte uses an 8 oz cup, with a single or double shot of espresso pulled first and then the rest with milk. There are standard definitions for milk to coffee ratio for all the "speciality" coffee drinks (latte, cappuccino,macchiato, etc) which you can find on google or Wikipedia. But I really think it comes down to personal preference as to how much milk or coffee flavour you want, and what texture of milk you prefer. I would make it how it tastes best for you. E.g. Too milky? Use less milk.

Idfixe (original poster)

#3: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

h3yn0w wrote:I believe a "traditional" latte uses an 8 oz cup, with a single or double shot of espresso pulled first and then the rest with milk. There are standard definitions for milk to coffee ratio for all the "speciality" coffee drinks (latte, cappuccino, macchiato, etc) which you can find on google or Wikipedia. But I really think it comes down to personal preference as to how much milk or coffee flavour you want, and what texture of milk you prefer. I would make it how it tastes best for you. E.g. Too milky? Use less milk.
Yes i've read on the topic but no real standard... do you use a regular espresso shot or. Under extract for milk based?

MB

#4: Post by MB »

It's all to taste of course. For me on my L1.0, I like 15.5 g in, 27 g espresso out and add frothed milk to fill 8 oz notNeutral Lino cup. That gives me enough flavor that I can enjoy the qualities of the coffee and stretch it out over a full cup without it feeling milky to me. For someone that enjoys espresso mostly, my ratio might seem the opposite to them - washed out flavor and too milky.
LMWDP #472

Idfixe (original poster)

#5: Post by Idfixe (original poster) »

Great, thanks for the info!

sprin001

#6: Post by sprin001 »

This is interesting because 8 oz of cold milk may turn into 12 oz of steamed milk...

DanoM

#7: Post by DanoM replying to sprin001 »

There was a recommendation to fill a 8oz latte cup with steamed milk after a 27g shot. Roughly 6.5oz of steamed milk there so 4-5oz of cold milk depending on your stretch.

Yes, 8oz of cold milk could yield about 12oz of steamed with a full stretch.
LMWDP #445

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by pizzaman383 »

I like a very espresso-forward drink. My favorite is the Cortado which is equal parts espresso and steamed milk with no froth cap. Yummy!
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

sprin001

#9: Post by sprin001 replying to pizzaman383 »

When the espresso is "on" - hard to beat a cortado to capp range drink!

James Mulryan

#10: Post by James Mulryan »

I do 40g espresso with 100g(prior to steaming) milk. Fits in a traditional 6oz espresso cup-- plenty of espresso flavor and sweet milk. Not big on big gulp lattes.