Best cloth for making filter?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
oh_rats

#1: Post by oh_rats »

Hi,

Given how much I like the Hario Woodneck's cloth filter, I have been looking into making my own cloth filters for use with other brewing methods. I have tried cloth filters made from thinner fabrics, but the results were very disappointing. The material used for the hario filter would be an obvious starting point for getting better results. But I can't find any information on what exact material the hario filters are made of - even less on where to get some. Does anyone here know? If not, do people have suggestions as to what fabrics might be best for filter making?

Thanks!
Bo

bostonbuzz

#2: Post by bostonbuzz »

http://www.coffeesock.com/

If you're going to make your own, use soft organic cotton. Keep in mind that another term for woodneck brewing is "flannel," and it's very popular in countries such as Costa Rica. Different brew methods have different thicknesses for filters, so it's probably worth experimenting. You probably want a thick one for chemex, and a thin one for v60, but who knows.
LMWDP #353

Kincaasi

#3: Post by Kincaasi »

I have been messing around with sewing cloth filters the last few months using organic muslin cotton filters in different thread counts. Made filters for both bonmac and V60. My first try the fabric was too thick and created too much restriction. Second try was better, still a little too heavy. Next time will go a little lighter. Also I want to look into the flannel option. I love the cleanliness of cloth without losing body in the cup.

DanoM

#4: Post by DanoM replying to Kincaasi »

Call my crazy, but I like old, soft, used t-shirt, cotton cloth. Wife has cut up old shirts for rags and coffee use, and when I get a nice one I save it for cold extract coffee filtering. Absorbs well, passes through well, grabs the fines at many levels while still allowing for good flow.

Same shirts make great home espresso rags too.
LMWDP #445

jwiley86

#5: Post by jwiley86 replying to DanoM »

I've also used this one too! It's a good suggestion even though it's not commonly used. It saves extra cost as well. :mrgreen:

jedovaty

#6: Post by jedovaty »

Bo: you say you've tried various types of cloths, which ones?

What about getting a large flour sack cloth to start with, if you use a square, you can fold it up like a chemex filter, and increase the thickness. Because it's folded, easy to clean.

I use flour sack cloths to strain liquids in other culinary projects, they are sort of an unsung hero, and they don't gross me out like old t-shirts. If necessary, they may be available in the organic variety, but, I just grab packs from walmart when I feel brave enough to enter said store.