Basic question ...recipe changes needed for 1 vs 2 cup pourover

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mania

#1: Post by mania »

Hi All

Sorry if it has been asked I did not find anything on search

Basically I am new & have been experimenting a few months now & like what
I am getting from pour over & Aeropress

But on pour over which many days I do as a morning deal with my wife...I have tried just doubling
the recipe of what works on my single cup ...Both in grind size & dose
But this does not work well or at least I am not IMO getting as good a cup as my single.

Also of course the time is longer but I assumed that would be the case or should it?

My single cup recipe is
18g dose
ground on Hario Hand Grinder (15 clicks out from closed about table salt size)
220g water
2.5-3 minutes total pour time including 30 sec bloom.

When I try a double batch I just double dose to 36g & water to 440g
But this amount of coffee is slowing the process too much & extracting more than I want.

Is the obvious answer that I need to adjust flow by grinding coarser for two cups than one?
If so I may just stay with single batches & make two as the taste is that good.
But of course it is more work too :wink:

Thank You for any tips
Mike

Edit: as luck would have it I just did in fact find another similar topic Why such a taste difference (3 vs 6 cups) ... will read it thru now :oops:

weebit_nutty

#2: Post by weebit_nutty »

You didn't mention what pour over system you're using. Generally, recipes specific to brewer and filter combination. If those aren't specified, then trial and error is a given for achieving your desired cup.

The general approach is to adjust the grind. This is usually effective at achieving the same cup quality but not always.

In my case I rarely ever adjust my brew grind. When I brew larger batches I simply increase the water dosing level in the brewer. Use more surface area and the flow rate increases accordingly. I can do this because my system is a Kalita Wave, so the flow rate is restricted entirely by the filter, not the brewer, which has 3 holes. Brewers with one hole will restrict flow at the hole.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

mania (original poster)

#3: Post by mania (original poster) »

Hi Scotty

Sorry did not mention I am using a Tiamo Glass V-60 style one large hole system.

That is an idea about increasing water but as you said your also using the Kalita 3 hole so
getting better flow.

I will try both adding more water & going a bit coarser on the grind.

One thing I am still not clear on is when increasing a recipe is pour time.
Should it still total around 3:30-4min?

Thanks again
Mike

day

#4: Post by day »

I brew my v60 at 2:30, I have seen solid recommendations from 2:15-3:00 but much of the change is attributed to varying bloom time. I suspect the problem here is your pouring, though I don't have a tiamo. If you are pouring too little per cycle or too slowly with a constant drip then the it will take too long coming out. the same pouring techniques can cause for a drastic slowdown when up dosing despite grinding significantly coarser(possibly you are dosing too much as well, for that Brewer?)

I would suggest searching for more videos from well reputed barista
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

weebit_nutty

#5: Post by weebit_nutty »

mania wrote:Hi Scotty

Sorry did not mention I am using a Tiamo Glass V-60 style one large hole system.

That is an idea about increasing water but as you said your also using the Kalita 3 hole so
getting better flow.

I will try both adding more water & going a bit coarser on the grind.

One thing I am still not clear on is when increasing a recipe is pour time.
Should it still total around 3:30-4min?

Thanks again
Mike
Yes, the brew time should be the same, or approximately similar, even with larger batches, so long as the flow has increased due to the adjustments required. The idea here is to duplicate the time exposure of the grounds to water. The longer they are, the more extracted they are. There is a sweetspot in every extraction, and when you go over it, you will get undesired notes added to your brew.

Good luck. I'm certain you'll eventually find the best combination. It would help for Tiamo owners to chime in with their recipes. I don't own one myself but if I recall correctly they aren't exactly like a V60 so V60 recipes might yield the best results. Nonetheless it's appears to be a perfectly usable knockoff so you should be able to get a good brew with the necessary tweaks.
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

happycat

#6: Post by happycat »

Grinding coarser but stirring throughly during bloom with 2x water to coffee weight for bloom can help. That way you are ensuring more even extraction and avoiding issues of channeling and overexactracting certain grinds but not others.
LMWDP #603

mania (original poster)

#7: Post by mania (original poster) »

Thanks folks for the replies :wink:

Sorry for my slow response was away yesterday

@day ...Thanks & yes I think some of it was pouring as I was slowing often & letting it perc down a bit
before adding more. But also I think my grind was great on one cup serving & maybe getting too fine on two as
a lot of the time was really the final time with water just kind of sitting & stream slowing way down as grinds were
saturated & sitting. Thanks for time confirmation & that is basically what I also shoot for.

@ Scotty........Thanks for the confirmation on brew time being similar regardless of 1 or 2 cups. That is what
I thought as otherwise double exposure would be too much extraction time.
Will double check but I think when I compared Tiamo & Hario they were pretty much the same but will double check.

@ happycat,,,thanks & yes I do that stir during bloom ever since I saw a Matt Perger video awhile back showing that as it
seemed a logical idea. :wink:

Thanks again everyone for the input :D

Stevebcoffee

#8: Post by Stevebcoffee »

I normally brew 275ml on a V60 with a time of c 2:45 on a setting of 1 plus 5 o'clock on the dial on the Hausgrind.
When I brew 550ml, the grind is coarser , a setting of 1 plus 11 o'clock. This achieves approximately the same brew time of 2:45.

The extraction yield is then similar for both brews

mania (original poster)

#9: Post by mania (original poster) replying to Stevebcoffee »

Thanks Steve
May I ask what is your dose?

That Hausgrind looks like a nice grinder
I am starting to think my main problem is inconsistency of grind.

No matter what that floating Hario type is going to move around with only one end supported

But we plan to move in July back home after 4 years here in Asia
I am happy because when i get back to our house I can get a nice grinder/machine combo
I have held off here because shipping would have been tough

Thanks again! :)

Stevebcoffee

#10: Post by Stevebcoffee »

This is with a dose of 17g for 275ml, 34g for 550ml