Baratza Sette 270 pourover settings.

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
mokemo

#1: Post by mokemo »

Anyone else using the new Baratza Sette 270 for pour over? What settings are you using and what's your experience so far? I'm brewing with a Hario V-60 with paper filters. I've had my grinder for all of 4 days and I know it's gonna be a while before I'm dialed in.....I'm going with 400 grams of water and 19-20 grams of coffee, started with the coarse setting at 15 and have slowly gotten coarser (towards 30). So far my best brew has been a Sweet Maria's Tanzania roasted three days ago ground at 21. I haven't even thought of messing with the micro setting.....BTW my lovely wife had a hard time pressing her Areopress this morning at a 28 setting...

grimeywelsh

#2: Post by grimeywelsh »

Have you thought about dosing a bit higher? I usually use 20 grams for 300 grams of water, 25 for 400. Also, since it is so new, how much coffee have you put through it? Looks like you need to season the burrs with a couple of pounds before it really hits its stride.

johnny4lsu

#3: Post by johnny4lsu »

I sold because it doesn't grind as coarse as I wanted. I don't recommend it for pour over. It works, just not ideal. A Vario with steel brew burrs blows it away.

jja619

#4: Post by jja619 »

I used about the same settings as you did for my large (560 mL) pour overs. 21-23.

I switched back to my Lido 3 after a week as the Sette produced too much sludge, and I figure I should keep the Sette dedicated to espresso.

mokemo (original poster)

#5: Post by mokemo (original poster) »

I'm having problems with what someone has referred to as "The Sludge Problem". I thought one of the promotional points of this grinder was "remarkably consistent grind size"? If You can't do a decent pour over because of too many fines (inconsistent grind size) why market this machine as an all purpose grinder? After reading all the glowing hype, jeeze.....I'm gonna try seasoning the burrs by running a few pounds of minute rice and see what happens. If I can't get consistently good pour over or even an Aeropress that you don't have to break your arm pressing Baratza/Clive Coffee might have a slightly used 270 in their bargain basement someone might want to purchase.....

Bigzamboni

#6: Post by Bigzamboni »

mokemo wrote:I'm having problems with what someone has referred to as "The Sludge Problem". I thought one of the promotional points of this grinder was "remarkably consistent grind size"? If You can't do a decent pour over because of too many fines (inconsistent grind size) why market this machine as an all purpose grinder? After reading all the glowing hype, jeeze.....I'm gonna try seasoning the burrs by running a few pounds of minute rice and see what happens. If I can't get consistently good pour over or even an Aeropress that you don't have to break your arm pressing Baratza/Clive Coffee might have a slightly used 270 in their bargain basement someone might want to purchase.....
Ever have any luck fixing the "sludge problem" after running rice through it?

Came across this thread while trying to get more info on the Sette,

I'm on the market for a grinder and only do manual brewing at the moment, so if what the other's have said that it's not great, will scratch it off my consideration list. Was on the high end of my budget anyhow.

chrisbodnarphoto

#7: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

It's been pretty common knowledge for some time (since the pre-release test units) that the Sette in its current form with the current burrset isn't ideal for pourover. A simple search in these forums and others will reveal the same issues that you've come across.

This being said, Baratza has acknowledged this and is said to be working on a different burrset for pourover. :)

Intrepid510

#8: Post by Intrepid510 »

Bigzamboni wrote:Ever have any luck fixing the "sludge problem" after running rice through it?

Came across this thread while trying to get more info on the Sette,

I'm on the market for a grinder and only do manual brewing at the moment, so if what the other's have said that it's not great, will scratch it off my consideration list. Was on the high end of my budget anyhow.
Just go with a Baratza Virtuoso, things are tough as nails and do a great job.

Bob_M

#9: Post by Bob_M replying to Intrepid510 »

Agree

centralvalleycoffee

#10: Post by centralvalleycoffee »

Baratza seems to be sending out coarse burrs for people to test. I sent them an email and they offered to send me one. Its in the mail right now. I'm very excited to see how it works.

Royce