Are these cold brew parameters right?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
TheJavaCup77

#1: Post by TheJavaCup77 »

Ground 20g of coffee on 2 steps from lock in Skerton and mixed it with 350g of water in a jar and steep for 8 hours in fridge and then filter through V60 into vessel after the 8 hour steep..

Is this gonna be good?

I'm an idiot in cold brew.. since i have no refractometer and must make do...
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

cmin

#2: Post by cmin »

That ratio is almost 1:18, going to be super super weak for cold brew but it is your taste, you may like it. I do cold brew once in awhile and go for a 1:8 ratio. Actually just made some other day, 90g of coffee and 720g water. Heated 1/3 of that water to boiling then out that in the grounds and let steep for an minute. Then poured the rest of the water in. That was a method I found on here, called heat/cold cold brew or heat strike cold brew something like that. Best cold brew yet. Used an Ethiopian.

Not sure what you mean 2 steps from lock, I used my Hario Slim. 2 steps from lock would be too fine and almost powder like, I go 15-18 clicks back from lock. Too fine of a grind gives a super bitter off-putting flavor (some say from the tannin being released easily on here) and absorbs a bunch of the water, most aim to be coarser then drip for cold brew.

I also let steep in the fridge for 16 hours.

TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#3: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Basically i am pressed for time.. and decided to desperately grind very darn fine so i can get a ballpark extraction by 8 hours..

Hopefully i didn't screw up.. and about the ratio.. usually I'm a weak ratio kinda guy when it's about cold brew..

once i wake up i would be around between 8-9 hours of extraction time.. as it progressively cools..

i wish i could borrow my workplace Atago Pal, would've made it 60 easier.... :oops:
It could be as complex or as simple as you want. It's the choice of the barista.

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn »

I never get super technical with cold brew as it always results in a inferior cup to my simple method (Probably because I haven't tested it thoroughly, and really don't feel like taking the time to do so). So, I do a simple recipe and go from here:

- 1/2 cup of coffee you can measure it after it's been ground, but I usually do whole bean measurements.
- 3 cups of water
- Steep for 12-16 hours at ROOM TEMP.
- Filter through strainer or pour over to remove fines and sludge

I find that steeping in the fridge results in under developed flavors in the cup.

G'luck

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Dan Kehn

LukeFlynn

#6: Post by LukeFlynn »

Never heard of using a refractometer in cold brew, but hey, I'm all for preciseness. It's pretty easy.

The ground size is CRUCIAL to add to my last post, I can't stress that enough. Should be like kosher salt, If it's too coarse will just taste like weird tea, too fine it'll taste super bitter. If you find it has a salty taste, just cover it back up and let it steep for a little longer.

TheJavaCup77 (original poster)

#7: Post by TheJavaCup77 (original poster) »

Thanks guys.. and those threads are really helpful Dan.. very awesome.. and about the tannins... hope it doesn't go wrong with the tannins ruining the brew..

Will take all the advice from this thread and the other threads.. and improve on the next batch..

Hopefully the case is closed

brianmch

#8: Post by brianmch »

I have been going back and forth between the hot/cold method Lorenzo explains via link and a Chemex brew with ice in the bottom as explained by George Howell. Both produce acceptable results. Both use heavy ratios and hot water.