Anyone Try the George Howell Chemex Brewing Method?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
jaybar

#1: Post by jaybar »

Hi

The recipe looks very interesting.

Basically

1 Rinse Filter
2 Grind 48 grams medium-fine drip grind.
3 Pour 260 grams of water in 20-30 seconds wetting all the grinds.
4 Af 1:00 pour another 260 grams in 20-30 seconds in the center.
5 At 2:30 pour the remaining 260 grams in 20-30 seconds.

Brew to finish in Approximately 5 minutes.

The method avoids the traditional bloom and has you pouring quicker than most methods and uses a finer grind than many methods.

Has anyone tried this approach ?

Jay

endlesscycles

#2: Post by endlesscycles »

That's an enormous amount of coffee for a V shape filter. I can't imagine a home grinder capable of producing so few fines as to not clog the filter at that volume, regardless of pour technique... but then again, I have yet to try.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

jaybar (original poster)

#3: Post by jaybar (original poster) »

Marshall

How then would you suggest brewing 24-25 ounces of coffee? In two batches to reduce the amount ground ?

Jay

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

jaybar wrote:Has anyone tried this approach ?
Jenny Howell was using this recipe for their top rank coffees at this year's SCAA. For me, their brews were one of the highlights of the show. The roasts have gotten sweeter, and the method produces a cup that is both clear and heavy bodied.

That being said, their roasts are virtually free from bitterness of any kind. This means they work well at fine grinds and high extractions. The same high extraction methods for more conventional roasts might yield muddier tasting cups.
Jim Schulman

endlesscycles

#5: Post by endlesscycles »

jaybar wrote:Marshall

How then would you suggest brewing 24-25 ounces of coffee? In two batches to reduce the amount ground ?

Jay
Normally, yes I would say 2 batches. However, I would defer to Howell here. I look forward to trying this soon. Fewer pours means less turbulence, so perhaps the fines stay put.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

Marshall

#6: Post by Marshall »

I'll second Jim's comment about George Howell's booth in Boston. It was my first opportunity to taste the coffee from the finca we stayed at in El Salvador last year, properly roasted and properly brewed. It was extraordinary.

Unfortunately, since I am the only coffee drinker in my household, 48 grams of coffee are not on the menu here. I brew 15 g. in 270 g. of water in a Clever dripper. 4 minutes with a light surface stir mid-way. Medium (finer than French press) grind.
Marshall
Los Angeles

bostonbuzz

#7: Post by bostonbuzz »

That's an enormous amount of coffee for a V shape filter.
I think the Chemex needs this amount of grinds to work very well. At 32g my grind is extremely fine (#14 on a baratza virtuoso which is 1/2 way between espresso and fine drip), so much so that I'm considering switching brew methods. I haven't used the smallest chemex though, which has a different shaped neck.
LMWDP #353

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter »

I preface my comments with the disclaimer that I've only had coffee from the esteemed Mr Howell from a Fetco (Atlanta SCAA). A Rwanda, most delicious.
That said, for ME, 48 grams of coffee/27.5oz of water is a bit too powerful a brew strength.
However, I've not tried Mr Howell's prep method as described above. Maybe an old dog should try this new trick.
I'll just have a little hot water handy to thin out the mud. :lol:

endlesscycles

#9: Post by endlesscycles »

bostonbuzz wrote:I think the Chemex needs this amount of grinds to work very well. At 32g my grind is extremely fine (#14 on a baratza virtuoso which is 1/2 way between espresso and fine drip), so much so that I'm considering switching brew methods. I haven't used the smallest chemex though, which has a different shaped neck.
restrict flow with your kettle, not the grind.
-Marshall Hance
Asheville, NC

bostonbuzz

#10: Post by bostonbuzz »

Do you mean by limiting the amount of water above the grinds?
LMWDP #353