Anybody try cold brewed coffee?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
bigbad

#1: Post by bigbad »

I've been reading rave reviews about cold brewed coffee. Was wondering if anybody has tried this method...

The most popular methods are either Filtron or Toddy. Surprisingly, the whole technology seems drastically simple, compared to the rocket science of making an espresso. You basically steep coarse coffee grounds anywhere between 4 to 24 hours - depending on the method - and filter the grounds.

Everybody who's tried it, swear it's the smoothest, tastiest coffee they've ever had...

Anyway, I've always enjoyed the cold stuff over the hot brewed stuff, so I decided to pull the trigger. But I bought a french press instead, because the Filtron and Toddy require you to purchase its dispensible filters. Amazon has a Bodum ice coffee french press ($35) that looks a helluva lot better than the Toddy/Filtron setups. I doubt it's that much different than any other french press. It's mostly just marketing, but it does come with instructions for cold brew and an extra "flavor-locking" lid that'll fit in the fridge (as opposed to the default filter lid with an 8-inch protruding knob).

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-French-Pres ... 601&sr=8-1

What do you guys think? Anybody try the cold brewed stuff? Wondering what the espresso elitists think...

Also feel free to share any tips/advice for cold brewing... for example, does it matter if I use the pre-ground supermarket stuff? Or is it worth using pricey espresso beans?

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

With the exception of some really chocolatey coffees, I have found that cold brewing doesn't bring out much of the desirable uniqueness or delicateness (lack of acidity?) in flavour between coffees... it becomes much of a muchness and I've stopped cold brewing for this reason.
I usually preferred a full immersion fine grind for 24 hours or else it would be too watery for me.
I wouldn't want to be using espresso beans as they be a little too "roasty" for the brew... fresh normal filter roast works best in my experience.

germantown rob

#3: Post by germantown rob »

I just use a 1/2 gallon mason jar and filter through a pour over. I never liked iced coffee before, it was just too watery but with the concentrate over ice I find cold brew perfect. For beans I use roasts that didn't come out the way I wanted or beans that are getting stale.

allon

#4: Post by allon »

I do a cold brew extraction into a milk/cream mixture, then add sugar and a touch of lecithin and xanthan gum and turn into ice cream. I do this rarely, and I just filter the coffee through cheesecloth.
LMWDP #331

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

Cold brewed is excellent for iced coffee. Do it in style.:wink:

Mike McGinness

mute

#6: Post by mute »

I've been eyeballing the Hario "Cold Water Coffee Dripper" lately: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products ... e-dripper/

Looks pretty sweet. Expensive, but I might take the plunge. I typically cold brew in my french press, but I like the idea behind the drippers a lot.

Compass Coffee

#7: Post by Compass Coffee replying to mute »

Expensive is relative of course, just look at espresso brewing equipment!
We got the smaller 32oz Yama's, smaller also relative being 2 & 1/2 feet tall but small compared to the 3 & 3/4 foot 1 gallon Yama! Though Visions price not too bad, retail $202 for the 32oz ice water brewer, takes about 3 hour per brew.
Mike McGinness

caffeinatedjen
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by caffeinatedjen »

I made it a lot last summer, it was really nice having a jar of it in the fridge all ready for iced or hot coffee. I used big tea bags in a gallon jar and gave it a final strain through a clever coffee dripper. The teabags were about $5 I think from Amazon, so it's a nice way to try it without spending a lot.
Another cold-brew maker out there is the hourglass, also on Amazon.

Spitz.me

#9: Post by Spitz.me »

What about the Tody? Anyone use that? Intelly sells it in their stores and it's on Amazon, also.
LMWDP #670

allon

#10: Post by allon »

I had a toddy maker ages ago. Worked okay, but I never really liked the iced coffee. Too smooth and inoffensive. I like my taste buds to be challenged. It's basically a plastic tub with a big cotton puck of a filter in a recess in the bottom, and a cork below that. Fill with coarsely ground coffee and water, steep in the 'fridge overnight, then place on top of a glass pitcher (included with the set) and remove the cork.

You can rinse out and reuse the filters. For a while, I guess.
LMWDP #331