Anybody notice an oily residue on their Aeropress seal?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
thusband

#1: Post by thusband »

The seal on my Aeropress has developed an oily, slightly sticky coating covering the rubber seal. I washed it off but after a few weeks it's back. I don't use the Aeropress nearly as much as I used but wonder where it comes from. Maybe a new seal?

jpender

#2: Post by jpender »

It happens to some people, not sure why. I've had it happen to two of my Aeropresses. There was no way to wash it off as it kept oozing back out within a few days of cleaning it off the seal.

It is probably primarily coffee oil, perhaps with a small amount of dissolved elastomer (the seal material). If I remember correctly, Alan Adler (Aeropress inventor) had a sample tested at a lab. I played around with some of the goo on one of my seals. It had the color, viscosity and freezing temperature consistent with coffee oil

The answer to the problem is to call Aerobie. They will sell you a new one. In fact, they will very likely send you a new one for free.

One of my gooey seals:

"Goo" standing up on end of toothpick at 5°C:

thusband (original poster)

#3: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Gooey is a perfect description and thanks for the very thorough reply. Mine isn't nearly as bad as yours but I don't want to use it. I'll give then a call.

Jofari

#4: Post by Jofari »

This happened to mine as well. After around a year of use I started to notice an oily sheen on the seal. Washing it with soap and hot water did nothing. I've since stopped using the aeropress for a few reasons, but this was one of them. Hope you have luck with a replacement.

#5: Post by thusband (original poster) »

I don't use it anymore either but probably would once in a while if it wasn't gooey. I don't know if I'll bother with a replacement.

RobertL

#6: Post by RobertL »

Sweet Maria's has replacement plunger ends for $6.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/aer ... lunger-end

#7: Post by thusband (original poster) »

Thanks, I saw that and pulled the Aeropress out of the trash. It's a good price but shipping is as much as the seal. Amazon has it for around $10.