Americano vs. Drip and French Press - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
alyce

#11: Post by alyce »

I have the impresion this is a... cultural thing? Concerning how people choose to use the aeropress. I've learned that the aeropress is an amazing coffee-brewer, not an espresso-maker. If you want coffee that is comparable to a french-press then the clue isn't to brew an aeropress "espresso" and dillude it with water, but using the aeropress for the entire cup. The recipie I'm currently using is 14g of coffee (about one scoop I belive, light roasted, grinded a little finer than drip), 2 dl of water (no. four on the inner tube), brew for 40-60 s and press. This creates one of the best coffees I've ever tasted, though be warned it is pretty lightweight, transparent and elegant, compared to a french press with a bit more body and "grit" to it.

cinichol (original poster)

#12: Post by cinichol (original poster) »

Sweaner--I just spent half the day reading stuff on the web about the Clever Dripper. Now I have to get one :)

Alyce--I'm trying your Aeropress recipe the next time I use it. I've wondered about the same idea...

clumeng

#13: Post by clumeng »

I love the aeropress and espresso but the vac pot was one of the most enjoyable additions to the kitchen. You have a very nice control over the brew process and it produces very nice flavors. definitely adds time to the brew process but that's the fun part anyway.

I'm a lab scientist though so maybe I'm unique in it's bunsen burner like look in the kitchen.

The fines in the french press always bugged me btw. I imagine if you are used to the aeropress cup it might bug you as well.
LMWDP #383

alyce

#14: Post by alyce »

cinichol wrote: Alyce--I'm trying your Aeropress recipe the next time I use it. I've wondered about the same idea...

You should ;) If you have some coffee (and time) to spare, there is even more here: http://timwendelboe.no/2009/06/top-3-aeropress-methods/

#15: Post by cinichol (original poster) »

Amazing site! Now I've got way too much new stuff to try.

#16: Post by cinichol (original poster) »

Clumeng--what kind of vac pot do you use?
clumeng wrote:I love the aeropress and espresso but the vac pot was one of the most enjoyable additions to the kitchen. You have a very nice control over the brew process and it produces very nice flavors. definitely adds time to the brew process but that's the fun part anyway.

I'm a lab scientist though so maybe I'm unique in it's bunsen burner like look in the kitchen.

The fines in the french press always bugged me btw. I imagine if you are used to the aeropress cup it might bug you as well.