Alternatives for wife: Aeropress? Technivorm? Other? - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Espin

#11: Post by Espin »

If the question is "my wife wants to make coffee when I'm not around, what kind of easy-to-use equipment do you suggest?", an AeroPress, CCD, or a Mukka Express would probably be my choices.

In my case, measuring things precisely and following specific instructions wouldn't be problems - learning to finesse an espresso machine with dose, level, tamp just so, prewarming the cup... that's finicky stuff she'd prefer not to do.

If she isn't particularly motivated to make coffee in your absence, no equipment will help. Macchina does not work without mano.

My wife would rather make tea if I'm not around to prepare a coffee, despite having an aeropress handy. There's a greater chance of her getting something she wants to drink that way.

Good luck.

tekomino

#12: Post by tekomino »

Well, NesCafe might do it. In my absence thats what gets made at home :D Finessing AeroPress or other machines is out of question....

Here is how to make NesCafe taste little better (hey it needs any help it can get):

In glass container mix about 2 teaspoons of NesCafe, 1 Teaspoon of warm water and teaspoon of sugar. Your goal is to have thick paste. Mix with spoon until mixture is golden color. Then, pour hot water and add some milk to it. You can make larger mixture too since it is easier to stir and mix. It keeps in fridge too max a day. This process improves taste of NesCafe... Really. :lol:

There you go :mrgreen:

Advertisement
da gino

#13: Post by da gino »

godlyone wrote:Am I the only one that read the thread title as if the OB wanted to trade the wife for an aeropress or technivorm lol? :lol:
No you aren't. I mentioned it to my wife before opening the thread and she commented that she hoped that if I traded her in for a coffee maker I'd at least get a Slayer out of it. :D

alyce

#14: Post by alyce »

I'd go for Aeropress.

Also, just a bit off-topic, I seriously misunderstood the title of the thread. "I want a wife, but they are so much hassle/expensive/nagging/etc. so I'll just live with a coffee-brewer as a substitute, which one?".

edit: see the title-thing was already commented, oops :oops:

Nik

#15: Post by Nik »

All the replies brought a smile to my face. Although my wife knows how to make a good cappuccino using the same equipment as I do she will quickly say, "Yours always tasted better than mine."

However, I think what she is really saying, "I don't enjoy making them as much as you do and if I keep saying this he will make them for me!"

alyce

#16: Post by alyce »

Then she just loves you making her coffee with love and attention. Retain the cap as your gift to her and leave her to drink tea when you are away :D

NickA

#17: Post by NickA »

I have to agree with Godlyone; no matter how involved you are as a father there are certain times the kids just want their mother; they seldom call out for a coffee when they have a fever late at night ... so as much as I'm passionate about coffee, the wife stays ...

Advertisement
CoffeeOwl

#18: Post by CoffeeOwl »

SwingT wrote:She loves my cappuccinos made from either machine.
Does she like straight shots or does not at all?
If she does and drinks them sometimes, get a nice spring lever machine for her (La Peppina) and let her learn from you pulling them (it's really easy; basically it's just having a temp readout and the ground beans in the basket); I bet she will love the results and love to pull amazing straight shots for you.

and p.s.
No, don't trade your woman! :)
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

Chiara's Dad

#19: Post by Chiara's Dad »

While not qualifying as a Technivorm nor Technivorm knock-off, the Kenwood kMix drip coffee maker has been very successful for meeting the same need as the OP's in our home. Its distinctive feature is separate heating elements and temperatures for the brew system and for keeping the pot warm - it brews hot but doesn't burn what's in the pot. It's compact and brews fast, and produces very good coffee (we're reasonably particular about that).

I'm not sure where to buy it in the US, though.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#20: Post by cannonfodder »

Hmm, alternatives for wife... A good loyal dog my work.
Dave Stephens