AeroPress Cracking Problem

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
BenKeith

#1: Post by BenKeith »

My AeroPress is self destructing in less than one year.

This is what it looks like all the way around the inside of the top.

That's not cracks, it's where the plastic inside seems to have an outer layer that's just peeling up.

I use one of those PID controlled pots and the water temp is 202 degrees but that area is actually a little below where the water hits when inverted. The rubber piston is just slightly above that so the hot water never touches that part.

I used to say it was the best $30 coffee maker you could buy, but didn't realize it was going to be $30 per year.

I picked up a new one while in town today and see it's made out of a different, dark smoked colored plastic, sure hope it holds up better.
I use it inverted, so that should be an area that gets the least amount of use.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

Perhaps post it on the Aeropress thread at Coffeegeek https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/coffe ... nes/195166 . Alan Adler monitors that thread and was very helpful with my Aeropress issues.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

rover24

#3: Post by rover24 »

Do you run your aeropress through the dishwasher? Just curious, it looks similar to the plastic measuring cups I have that I run in the dishwasher.
I have had my aeropress for a couple years and it still looks same as new but I only hand wash it.

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

If it is not actually cracking, then it seems to just be cosmetic. Ignoring it may be the best option, but I bet Aeropress will replace it for you.
Scott
LMWDP #248

jpender

#5: Post by jpender »

Each of my Aeropresses has done that. Like you I never ran mine through the dishwasher. I'm on my fourth Aeropress now, which is constructed from a different material so perhaps it will take more brew cycles for this to show up if at all. I've decided to use it only for travel so even if it were just as susceptible it should last many years.

If you call Aerobie they will very likely send you a new one for free.

BenKeith (original poster)

#6: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

No, it has never been in a dishwasher, to be honest I don't think it has ever seen dish water. When I get through, before even taking a sip of coffee, while it's still hot, I take it over to the trash can, pop the puck out, rinse it off, wipe it off with dry towel before the coffee in it has time to dry and stick back by the grinder.

It's not just cosmetic. That cracked look is actually plastic buildup inside and has a very rough texture to it and had started leaking by during the initial start of the plunge. If anything, I could probably take some 800 grit wet/dry sand paper and wet sand it smooth if I want to try and salvage it, but I just opted to replace it.

Never been on Coffee Geeks and I didn't realize there was an AeroPress specific thread on a site. I might post it there just to see what comes out.

Andy

#7: Post by Andy »

Mine is also about 1 year old but it is the dark plastic kind. I does not have the cracked pattern, so maybe the different type of plastic is the solution. I use mine 2 to 4 times per week.

BenKeith (original poster)

#8: Post by BenKeith (original poster) »

I use mine between 10 and 14 times a week. Just about every cup of coffee I drink is made in it.

jpender

#9: Post by jpender »

My first one didn't look as bad as yours but it still got to the point where it was affecting the seal. My last one was really ugly looking.

"Regarding the crazing, we have seen this in about 0.1% of AeroPresses. It rarely impairs function. But if your crazing is impairing function, mention that in your email and I'll enclose a new chamber too."
-- Alan Adler on coffeegeek.com (Nov 2012)

It may be that the incidence was higher and Aerobie was only hearing about it in 1 in 1000 cases. Whatever, it would be interesting to figure out why it has happened with some people and not others.

The darker material (polypropylene) used in the newest version may render question moot.

MCALheaven

#10: Post by MCALheaven »

You averaged 625 cups of coffee made for less than 5 cents per cup in equipment cost. Not a bad return on investment. Well worth buying another if you love the taste.