Aeropress + Able Fine Recipes

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
beer&mathematics

#1: Post by beer&mathematics »

I've been making Nel drip with my Pharos for weeks now and I got my routine down making great coffee. What's been bugging me is that I can't make a great cup with the Aeropress with the Able fine disk (AP+AF). Made a cup with the Nel in the AM and just made a cup with AP+AF with 18g/260g, 45 sec bloom, 2:20 when plunging started then finish at 3min. Use the Pharos at 1 turn--same setting as I was using for Nel. I used the excellent Mountain Air Kenya Gotamboya AA.

Initial impressions with the AP+FD: very tasty, way more body, more chocolate and sweetness, less crispy acidity, hard to plunge at 1 turn (using the tricks I learned to minimize fines on the Pharos). I like the extra body but not at the expense of acidity. So, I would still prefer the Nel if I did side-by-side.

After the initial run and feeling encouraged I looked up other recipes at the Able site.

I notice that people are plunging fast! Usually in the 15-30 seconds range. I need to loosen my grind more for that. Other thing I notices, is I warped my disk with the pressure I needed to plunge.

I am thinking I'll open up the grind a tad and lessen the dose to 16g.

What are peoples favorite recipes for the AP+AF?

Edit: 16g/250g with 1+1/8 setting, 10 seconds quicker plunge. All else same. Much better brew with more acidity. Good balance between Nel and first brew. Want more acidity though :twisted:
LMWDP #431

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Brandon Paul Weaver's NW regional AeroPress Championship recipe from 2012 is my go to: here.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Eastsideloco

#3: Post by Eastsideloco »

+1. That's the same AP recipe I use. Different source, but identical otherwise.

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#4: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) replying to Eastsideloco »

Just to be clear--you are recommending the Weaver recipe, correct?
LMWDP #431

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

Yes. I've been using a recipe that is basically identical for a coule years with good results. The way I learned it, the goal is to finish the press by 1:45, but I often go a little slower than that. I haven't tried a ton of other recipes, in part because this one is simple and works well.

beer&mathematics (original poster)

#6: Post by beer&mathematics (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Brandon Paul Weaver's NW regional AeroPress Championship recipe from 2012 is my go to: here.
Finally got around to using this recipe with my new Lideux and PID kettle. Damn good cup of coffee :)
LMWDP #431