20% extraction can taste papery?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
atao
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by atao »

I went and got a refractometer after watching the Tim Wendelboe tutorials on how he brews coffee.

It's quite nice to have the instant feedback on the actual extraction % that I'm hitting.

Almost all of my brews were under extracted, I have been finding.

When I take the extraction up to 20%, using a clever dripper, I'm finding more sweetness but also a papery dry taste, which I assume is overextraction.

So would it be fair to say that some of my coffee is likely getting way over extracted, causing the papery taste but some under extracted? So it's not evenly extracted enough? I had mistakenly assumed that if I could hit 20% that things would be pretty golden.

My current protocol is a drip grind, 3 min steep, then quick stir then drain.

OldmatefromOZ

#2: Post by OldmatefromOZ »

I would try grinding a bit finer and brewing for a shorter time (say 2min) with water straight off the boil.
But if your using certain types of paper filters like the Filtropa that clog really easy this may not be possible.

The Japanese filters that fit the clever are excellent, one can experiment with finer grinds and they still drain really easy 30 to 45sec, great for extracting really light filter roasts.

Also dryness in finish can be related to a roast issue and some beans more than others are susceptible to it.

Nate42

#3: Post by Nate42 »

Science is great but taste is still king. Different coffee is different, and different equipment and brew methods are different. Also, the popularity of certain grinders lies not just in the fact that you CAN reach a particular extraction level, but rather you can reach that level and it still tastes good.

brianl

#4: Post by brianl »

When I test a new coffee, the clever is usually my go to as I dislike non-filtered coffee. I start the steep at around 2:00 for light roasts and 2:30 for medium and darker roasts. Then I adjust from there.

Whenever I go above 2:30 on the light roasts, I get this dry taste (astringency) that you are describing. The grind I use is 1 turn and 2 notches on my Lido 2. For comparison, I usually use around 1 turn for a v60.

I have also noticed, especially with the filtropa filters, is that the filter will clog if you stir it right before draining. This will increase the brew time (and overextract?).

Mrboots2u

#5: Post by Mrboots2u »

atao wrote:I went and got a refractometer after watching the Tim Wendelboe tutorials on how he brews coffee.

It's quite nice to have the instant feedback on the actual extraction % that I'm hitting.

Almost all of my brews were under extracted, I have been finding.

When I take the extraction up to 20%, using a clever dripper, I'm finding more sweetness but also a papery dry taste, which I assume is overextraction.

So would it be fair to say that some of my coffee is likely getting way over extracted, causing the papery taste but some under extracted? So it's not evenly extracted enough? I had mistakenly assumed that if I could hit 20% that things would be pretty golden.

My current protocol is a drip grind, 3 min steep, then quick stir then drain.
Are you using immersion mode on coffee tools ?
What is the grinder and water . Just hitting a number won't Guarenttee tasty if the water is poor and the grinder isn't capable of making plus 20 percent brews.
For immersion I tend to aim for higher extraction yields . These will only be tasty if the coffee water grinder combo allows
Also taste - sweetness - and extraction yield isn't linear . Could be bitter at 20 sweeter at 21 for example

baldheadracing
Team HB

#6: Post by baldheadracing »

Mrboots2u wrote:... the grinder isn't capable of making plus 20 percent brews...
Once I started playing with grinders and a refractometer, I was shocked at the differences between the grinders that I have. I gave up on pursuing extraction yields, got rid of the refractometer, and stuck to taste. To avoid that paper aftertaste, I end up with a lower yield with my Lido2 (w/ltalmill burrs) vs. my Vario (w/Ditting burrs) - so I just use more coffee when I use the Lido.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Mrboots2u

#7: Post by Mrboots2u replying to baldheadracing »

I don't pursue extraction yields . Surprisingly I haven't got
Rid of taste either ...a Vst and taste aren't mutually exclusive

baldheadracing
Team HB

#8: Post by baldheadracing replying to Mrboots2u »

Agreed. The OP appears to be pursuing a 20% yield, though, and wondering about the resulting taste.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada