1L Manual Filter Brewing - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by yakster »

I have a Kalita 155, 185 Style (with the Carafe) and a big old Chemex. I'd only do 1 liter in the Chemex, the 155 is good for probably up to 400 ml and the 185 works will with 600 ml, much beyond that and the filter is too full of coffee to pour fast enough and you risk overflowing the top of the filter with ground coffee.

One trick that I use when I want to make a small pot of coffee is I'll use my Kone 3 in the Kalita 185 carafe with the metal filter holder ring in as a spacer. This way, I can make a 600 ml or 800 ml batch in a smaller carafe instead of my 10 cup Chemex.

As for the SlickDrip, the reading I did on Amazon lead me to believe that it takes the #2 filter, it's not very tall and a #4 filter would probably stick up quite a bit from the top. One of the reviewers included some sizing information:
- SlickDrip: 3-1/2 oz. 4-1/2" diameter x 21/32" tall. Made for #2 filter.
- William Bounds: 3-5/8 oz. 4-1/2" diameter x 20/32" tall. Made for #2 filter.
- GSI Outdoors: 4-3/4 oz. 5 7/16" diameter x 29/32" tall. Made for #2 or #4 filter.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Intrepid510

#22: Post by Intrepid510 »

I would probably find a large chemex or melitta type cone. I have used both with good results and you don't need a pouring kettle for either.

treyrox

#23: Post by treyrox »

i plan on ordering a Bunn Phase Brew Funnel($15)
https://homecatalog.bunn.com/category/H ... IES/page/1
along with the appropriate filters in an attempt to mimic the flat bottom brewing of a fetco.
I'll brew into my 1L Hario 03 pitcher. Hoping this will make for a more even brew bed compared to running 60g of coffee through my v60 size2

SlowRain (original poster)

#24: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

Okay, I have one more option to throw into the mix before I make my final decision. Has anyone here ever used the Hario V60 03?

EDIT: And, can I assume the Chemex papers would fit in it with similar results to a Chemex brewer?

Boldjava

#25: Post by Boldjava »

SlowRain wrote:Okay, I have one more option to throw into the mix before I make my final decision. Has anyone here ever used the Hario V60 03?
No experience with it but the demo has it pouring into a 1L Hario pot so might meet your needs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001V7 ... 2BG3TP8QR4
-----
LMWDP #339

#26: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

This would probably be one of my cheapest options, too.

RAS

#27: Post by RAS »

treyrox wrote:i plan on ordering a Bunn Phase Brew Funnel($15)
https://homecatalog.bunn.com/category/H ... IES/page/1
along with the appropriate filters in an attempt to mimic the flat bottom brewing of a fetco.
I'll brew into my 1L Hario 03 pitcher. Hoping this will make for a more even brew bed compared to running 60g of coffee through my v60 size2
Hmm, this is an intriguing option. Please let us know how the experiment works. A concern I'd have is the bottom of a Bunn filter is WIDE... Over 4". You've got me curious enough that I'll try an experiment manual brewing with one we have laying around.

For my weekday brew, the following shows my RSVP silicone funnel. Sitting on top of my Bodum carafe, this makes for a simple brewing method, which is nice at 5:15AM.
Bob

RAS

#28: Post by RAS »

Though this is getting OT from original 1 liter brewing discussion, there's been enough discussion here about smaller batches that I think more info is okay. For 1-cup brewing, the following shows my set-up - something I've noticed that Chris (Yakster) is also using. The Tiamo gooseneck pitcher fits perfectly under a Sunbeam Hot Shot for a super convenient one-cup. Now I've found a lid that works fantastic with the Tiamo. It's a (well-cleaned!) canned cat food lid I got for free from Pet Smart. In these pics, you can also see the Slickdrip cone. I'm really liking the coffee from this set up quite a bit. Delicious Kenya Nyeri this morning.

Bob

#29: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

[creative nickname] wrote:I've done 1L brews in an 8 cup Chemex with good results.
I ended up buying a Hario V60-03 and some Chemex filters. Assuming they'll be fairly similar, does anyone have a good starting point for brewing 750ml or 1L in a Chemex/Hario V60-03? Grind size? Brew time?

Thanks.

[creative nickname]

#30: Post by [creative nickname] »

Start with a medium grind (halfway between espresso and French press) and see how long your draw down is. I would aim for something around 3:30-4 minutes. If faster, grind finer; if slower go coarser. Adjust temperature to taste.
LMWDP #435