1L Manual Filter Brewing - Page 2

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
RAS

#11: Post by RAS »

For my daily, low-hassle brewing, I used to use the big RSVP plastic funnel already recommended here. With no info available at the time about possible BPA issues with that funnel, I started looking for an alternate. Also, the draw-down rate of that funnel was just too inconsistent (the small flap of paper at the bottom of a filter could block the exit hole enough to impede draw-down... Pulling up on one end of the filter, with coffee and hot water in it, would do the trick, but sometimes I had to do this, and sometimes not.).

The search resulted in another RSVP product, formerly available through Amazon - but still readily available online. This one is a collapsible silicone cone that I'm able to set on top of my Bodum thermal carafe (brew straight into the carafe - as I could with the old plastic one). Works great, and the rate of draw-down is always consistent. Paired up with my Lido 2 and an electric Bonavita gooseneck kettle, this is my week-day brew method. Quick, easy and delicious coffee.

Here's one source I found with a quick Google search: http://kitchenables.com/product_info.php?products_id=78.

And you can still read some reviews on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Collapsible- ... merReviews
Bob

Boldjava

#12: Post by Boldjava »

RAS wrote:For my daily, low-hassle brewing, I used to use the big RSVP plastic funnel...
I use the RSVP and Melitta whites when I travel. Works well and I improvise with whatever is available for pouring and catching.
-----
LMWDP #339

SlowRain (original poster)

#13: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

That RSVP looks promising. I already have a single-serve, collapsible silicone dripper, so I'm somewhat familiar them. It wouldn't take up much space, that's for sure, and I could consider international shipping on this one. But, I'm not sure what kind of filters would work, because their idea of a "cup" is different from my idea of a "cup". Is there some handy reference guide that can tell me this information in either ounces or milliliters? Also, what filter manufacturers are recommended? Which ones are not recommended? Melitta? Kalita? UCC?

Boldjava

#14: Post by Boldjava »

I use Melitta whites, size 4 with the RSVP. Works well and is available all over.
-----
LMWDP #339

#15: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

I see there's also the Kuissential SlickDrip. It's made by a company that seems to focus on coffee a bit. It says it can handle the #4 filter, so that should yield a liter, shouldn't it? Anyone tried it yet?

http://kuissential.com/product/slickdri ... e-dripper/

chang00

#16: Post by chang00 »

Search Melitta #6 cones. Melitta still makes #6 filter cones, although nowadays they are mostly plastic. There used to be ceramic and metal Melitta #6 cones, and the ones from many years ago are considered collectors items.

Additionally, in addition to FIltropa, Melitta also still manufactures #6 paper cones. This should fit the need for 1 liter brewing.

RAS

#17: Post by RAS »

I own three of these red SlickDrip silicone brewers (two in an always-ready travel kit, and one ready for home use). Yes, they work that well - especially for travel. Definitely single cup brewers though, and I've used both #1 and #2 filters with them. I have a small gooseneck pitcher (smaller than a kettle) that I dunk an immersion heater into to boil water. An old Geska handmill for grinding, and all in all, a very small travel kit.

These SlickDrip cones are great, but do have two issues/considerations:
  • 1. With two holes, the draw-down time is fairly quick. Pre-infusion and fine grind help make sure you get a proper extraction.
    2. A few times now, and toward the end of the pour & draw-down, I've had a little leakage out the side of the base, and down the outside of the cup it's sitting on. My theory is that as the flow slows, there's some adhesion of the dripping water to the bottom of the cone... and this continues to the edge of the cup and down the side. At first I thought it was the cup I was brewing into, but it's happened with a different cup as well. No really big deal though - I really only lose a small puddle's worth (technical term)
As far as the silicone RSVP, I use #4 filters with it, though for smaller batches, a #2 would work. BUT, for smaller batches, I'd recommend the two-holed SlickDrip cones versus the 4-holed RSVP (crikey, may even be 5-holes... I don't remember - all I do know is that for 45gm of coffee and 30 ounces of water, the draw-down time is perfect @ ~ 4:00 total brewing time).
Bob

RAS

#18: Post by RAS »

chang00 wrote:Search Melitta #6 cones. Melitta still makes #6 filter cones, although nowadays they are mostly plastic. There used to be ceramic and metal Melitta #6 cones, and the ones from many years ago are considered collectors items.

Additionally, in addition to FIltropa, Melitta also still manufactures #6 paper cones. This should fit the need for 1 liter brewing.
I used to use #6 filters, but since switching to a gooseneck Bonavita kettle, I find the extra volume of a #6 to be unnecessary. If you do a steady or pulse-pour, a #4 works perfectly - even for a 1L batch.
Bob

turtle

#19: Post by turtle »

My daily pour over auto-drip is 1 to 1.5 liters every morning (then a 2 cup press in the afternoon).

Auto drip is a commercial bunn CWTF which I use more than any other method as it is just too simple/easy.

Other large options are the big boy Chemex, or if I only want 1 liter then the smaller big boy.

I've used Chemex filters in my V60 when I want to brew into my 1.5 liter thermal carafe otherwise the standard Hario filters seem to be fine.

Wave and beehouse also are fine for 1 liter pours directly into a thermal carafe.

I have a #6 Melitta but I rarely use it because I don't brew 1.5 liters very often as I prefer to brew more if I want more and 1.5 lasts too long for 2 drinkers.

I use a Bonavita temp control electric kettle for smaller amounts and a large 1.7 liter Russell Hobbs for larger pours

BeeHouse

Kalita

Hario V60 with a Chemex filter

Mick - Drinking in life one cup at a time
I'd rather be roasting coffee

#20: Post by SlowRain (original poster) »

I think those Melitta cones were sometimes called #103, weren't they? Yes, they seem to be very rare. It's also good to know that a #4 with a decent kettle and the #6 filters will both work for 1L. I wasn't too sure about the numbering sequence, though. But, what about filters with a 10_ number sequence? Can I assume the #101 is a #1, a #102 is a #2, the #103 is a #4, and a #104 is a #6?

RAS, the more I look on the Internet, the more I think my little collapsible silicone filter cone is a SlickDrip, just in orange. However, I don't think a #4 filter would fit in it, either. Do you have any discoloration/staining from coffee at the bottom of yours?

turtle, if you had to make 1L of manually brewed coffee for some guests, and you wanted to focus on the taste of the coffee over the convenience of the brewing method, which method would you choose? Or, do you find you choose your brew method based on the unique flavors it brings out in a given coffee? Do you find 1L to be a stretch in your Kalita Wave #185? Is your "smaller big boy" Chemex the 6-cup or 8-cup?