Zacconi, is it good for lattes?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Frankie24

#1: Post by Frankie24 »

Hi lads, I have been looking for some espresso machines under 1000 € with grinder and i found a savinelli roma deluxe which is a lever espresso machine i could afford, however after some research I just could find that is home made by zacconi.
I would like to know if could be a good one thinking about this.
I will use mostly for lattes and latte art
About 3 to 5 a day
I am in europe so is impossible to get some machines like the cc1 crossland
I dont mind if they are not really fast, i just want a good espresso and milk
I can not pay more than 650 € ( about 750-800 $)

My other best option would be the rancilio silvia ( is very easy to find here which is good if I have any problem.

Thanks for everything

Frankie

pacificmanitou

#2: Post by pacificmanitou »

How long a period will there be between the 3-5 a day?
LMWDP #366

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

I just sold the vintage version of that machine and found it was a good steamer, with a nice, swivel steam wand. The machine I sold made very small shots so I had to do multiple pulls to create a double, which tasted fine. So, it depends. I haven't tried the newer version. If you can have that machine demonstrated to you and then try others in its price range that will guide your choice. For something similar and more popular I would consider a La Pavoni Professional, which has a larger boiler than their Europiccola model. There are other machines similarly priced that aren't levers and may be better because they have a top fill water tank. I wouldn't consider something that isn't a heat exchanger in a pump machine because with that you'll have instant steaming. You might look at some of the reference threads here for buying an espresso machine at your price range and research what's available locally. And don't short yourself on the grinder as this is more important than the espresso machine for making good espresso.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Frankie24 (original poster)

#4: Post by Frankie24 (original poster) »

The main problem would be that maybe I would make the 3-5 lattes in 1h or something like that and then nothing. As I said I don't mind if is not really fast because I will take my time to do the things right.
Here in Europe is very hard to find an xh for a competitive price( impossible for lest than 850€. The grinder I decided to go is the vario which I read is good enough..
I think that the pavinnelli is a nice machine but I also like the rancilio silvia( even with her problems, remember everyone has some) and recently found in Europe an isomac Venus which I think is the same as zaffiro. This machine I read somewhere that is the upgrade to the rancilio but I found lots of videos on YouTube having problems with that machine..
So the main problem I am finding to buy the machine is that I don't want a plastic machine and I would like something I could trust in about the durability.. Something strong.. Because now I want to improve some latte art skill but maybe in 1 year I won't and I will prefer better espresso..
My brain is gonna explote hahaha to many options and I find something good in all of them

drgary
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary »

Making that many lattes in an hour suggests that the Zacconi many have too small a boiler capacity for you. To refill you need to let it cool enough and bleed the steam wand of pressure so you can open and fill it and you want a machine with more boiler capacity than that. A Silvia is an option but I suggest you read up the threads I mentioned in the FAQs and Favorites of this Buying Advice forum because Silvia is not considered the best option in its price group. Let your brain explode, then settle down. Read some more until you've got a good shopping list. Otherwise you'll just get vague answers like this that are mandated by your budget limitations. You get what you pay for.

I think an ideal machine for you is a used Olympia Express Maximatic aka Pasquini Livietta aka Olympia Express Coffex, because of the solid build and performance and a pourover tank in a compact HX machine. But many people aren't comfortable buying used. Relatively few people buy them new because many find them overpriced. But I have a used one I restored and like a lot.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

pacificmanitou

#6: Post by pacificmanitou »

If you're doing all that in an hour you need a rather large boiler. After the espresso, flushes, and steaming, you've probably got a refil in there somewhere. You may also find temperature problems to be even more prevalent than with Silvia.
LMWDP #366

#7: Post by Frankie24 (original poster) »

Any idea about the breville 870xl? I don't know if the steamer is good enough.. I was looking for the breville900xl but is too expensive and hard to find it..

pacificmanitou

#8: Post by pacificmanitou »

I looked at one of these in a store recently. It looked well built, but without testing it, it could be window dressing. If you purchase it, make sure you can return it if its not good enough. Also, make sure to tell us how it does so we can recommend better at the low cost end. There's a breville on coffeegeek's under $500 gift guide that was a scaled down BDB, it had a non-user setable PID, which is still unheard of at that price point.

Model is Breville Infuser, BES840xl.

If you do go with any of the lower brevelle machines, please report back how they perform.
LMWDP #366

#9: Post by Frankie24 (original poster) »

Hi there!
Breville I think could be a good option, however I found a brand new expobar office pulse 1g ( the cheapest one they have) but the boiler is 2.75 litres and is and hx for 500€ and if I add the la pavoni jolly grinder for 300€ so it's make the 800€ which is my budget..
Do you think it could be a better option for me? I think so..

pacificmanitou

#10: Post by pacificmanitou »

It's leaps and bounds better, and will be much more like what you're accustomed to at work, being HX. It's also easier to service.
LMWDP #366