Your thoughts on new espresso machine + grinder - long term

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gaius

#1: Post by Gaius »

HI,

first of all i have to say i love this forum, i have been a reader and now i decided to post a topic since i would really like to hear your input on my questions.

So i am in market of a new good e61 machine and decent grinder. Everything should be more on the compact size, since there is not a lot of room left on the counter.

Right now i have a test isomac zaffiro (older series) at home and boy i love every thing about it. I drink espresso only so thats why i am considering a single boiler machine, i would opted for HX (like isomac tea) but i really don't like flushing 150ml of water.

Lets say i am somehow limited to only more or less italian or german machines since i live next to italy and this is what i can get ahold of. I could get brand new zaffiro for 850eur or 950usd which is i my opinion a great price, but than i start to think what if i should invest in some "better" (i think its really hard to go any better in espresso quality shot above zaffiro) e61 machine, maybe i need a pid, maybe i would consider dual boiler for a long term purchase. If my taste wont change (all of a sudden start slammin big lattes :)) i am probably good with zaffiro for 10+ years, but what if this "coffee thing" will pull me in even more and i would be later considering a better machine, but than again, will there be any difference at all?

Same thing goes for grinder, i am considering eureka mignon or rancilio rocky but what if i will regret not spending a 100-200usd more know on superior grinder, i will just lose money once i will try to sell grinder so i could splurge again on a better one.

By reviews isomac (zaffiro or tea) is quite a match with eureka grinder, you think i should go for it or invest in some "better" long term purchase, i know i will be satisfied with zaffiro i just don't want to regret later and deal with selling and researching again.
I can get a zaffiro + eureka (stainless steel) set for around 1300usd. Maybe i am more than good with zaffiro and should invest in some better grinder than eureka, but they all get quickly quite big (i really don't like the look of vario and really hate the plastic flimsy buttons (if you press one they all move at the same time lol) and pathetic sliders.

Hope i did not complicate my "questions" too much and you feel my dilemma, i would really appreciate your input and what would you do?

Thank a lot guys and can't wait to upload a picture of my setup :)