Would Baratza Vario be a noticeable improvement over Nuova Simonelli Grinta for espresso?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
ghobbs

#1: Post by ghobbs »

I've been considering buying a Vario for some time but am uncertain whether there would be appreciable improvement in espresso quality over what I am getting with the NS Grinta. I am not very concerned about the additional convenience features the Vario offers and am generally pleased with the coffee I am getting now.

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn replying to ghobbs »

From what I've seen the Grinta has grind quality of a Rancilio rocky.. While the Vario has the grind quality of commercial grinders like the Mazzer Super Jolly. I'd say it would be a huge upgrade.

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#3: Post by clivecoffee »

Yep, second vote that it will be a huge flavor upgrade for the money. Everything about it will be improved. Commercial grind performance (flavor, consistency, fluffiness), grind speed, retention, ease of adjustment, sound (Vario is much more refined), smaller footprint, I'm tempted to type retention again (because that's going to be a big improvement). Longer lasting burrs. I bet once you get it dialed in, you'll wish you upgraded sooner.

If you don't find it lives up to my late night raving, we have a 30 day return policy :)

Ben@clivecoffee

another_jim
Team HB

#4: Post by another_jim »

The Grinta had great specs, looking like a commercial grinder for a home price; but almost all the early adopters were thoroughly underwhelmed. That was a over a decade ago, so I'm actually surprised there are some still in use.
Jim Schulman