With 2 toddlers, should I feel guilty about buying a La Marzocco GS/3?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gfcronus

#1: Post by Gfcronus »

I'm a newbie shopping for my first espresso machine. I thought I'd be fine getting a dual-boiler in the mid-$2,000's, but found my desires slowly creeping up to the La Cimbali Junior Casa HX (high-$2,000's), then the Elektra Sixties T1 (mid-$3,000's). Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't go for broke and just get a La Marzocco GS/3. The GS/3 would actually fit in the kitchen better than the T1 or the Junior (space-wise) and would be a centerpiece of a kitchen remodel that my wife and I are planning to do in 2-3 years. But I wonder if I would feel guilty looking at my kids every morning while sipping a cappuccino after having spent seven grand on a coffee machine. Wouldn't that money be better used to help build their 529 plans? Or our retirement nest egg? Or a nice china cabinet for the formal dining room? Am I being unreasonable? Wife and I both work, pay Alternative Minimum Tax, and kids are in parochial schools.....So we have the means, per se, but I'm concerned about severe buyer's remorse. Anybody else experience a similar situation?

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Gfcronus wrote:... But I wonder if I would feel guilty looking at my kids every morning while sipping a cappuccino after having spent seven grand on a coffee machine. Wouldn't that money be better used to help build their 529 plans? Or our retirement nest egg? ...So we have the means, per se, but I'm concerned about severe buyer's remorse. Anybody else experience a similar situation?
Not over a GS/3 but always had the tension with the responsibility for young ones. Questions which you alone can answer:

1. How is your emergency fund? When our kids were young, I always tried to shoot for 6 months gross income in a nest egg.
2. Are you on track for 529 plans for the children? Any special plans in your state of residence to reduce cost via state universities?
3. Term insurance. Do you (and your wife) have adequate term insurance in case of unexpected death? Not only do you lose income but you incur child care and more meals out.
4. Retirement. Social security will be pared down in future years. Are you on path/course for achieving goals?

If yes, enjoy. If not, enjoy wonderful pourovers. Suggest those be taken care of first and then wade into the GS/3.
-----
LMWDP #339

cmin

#3: Post by cmin »

Well first things first, you didn't mention what grinder your going to be using, there's additional cost right there that can go over 1k easily. If you're that worried, I'd say look at a cheaper machine, plenty of dual boilers in the 2-3k range, Rockets, Duetto 3, Quickmill etc (the new Profitec 700 is sweet). Otherwise you may buy it + an expensive grinder and then every day sit there and regret it, if you feel like that will happen, don't do it, if you feel you can push that aside then it's your choice and money. I don't think anybody pays market price for a GS/3 anyway, can easily negotiate down in the 5k range as plenty of others have. But if you feel that strongly, go with a cheaper setup or a different route (pour over etc) as it sounds like your prepping yourself for serious buyers remorse and will regret it everytime you look at the machine.

btw- wifes fam is from Rochester

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. »

A GS/3 and a good grinder could easily cost three or even four toddlers...

Seriously, only you can answer that question since it is a personal financial decision. There are people who carry spare cash in their wallet that would cover the cost.

As others have said, machines in that class deserve a grinder in the same class, so that has to be part of the equation along with where it all will go.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Joco

#5: Post by Joco »

For the price of a GS/3, Im surprised your haven't looked at the Slayer Single Group.

Personally I think the Slayer is a MUCH better quality machine (just look at the duty cycles of each), plus Slayer pretty much invented/perfected the paddle design. Plus with all the design/customization options available from Slayer it could really become the focal point of your kitchen redesign.

Italyhound
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Italyhound »

Randy G. wrote: Seriously, only you can answer that question since it is a personal financial decision. There are people who carry spare cash in their wallet that would cover the cost.
Agree. This question really has little to do with coffee.

If you have the cash just burning a hole in your pocket, you will avoid lesser equipment related variables by spending it on a machine like the GS/3. That is an enviable position.

Now, if you aren't sure you like espresso yet, that's another matter as it could be a waste of your hard earned money, however liquid. There are far 'prettier', solid machines for your counter that cost less if it's just going to potentially gather dust.

I started with a vivaldi 2 and then got a GS3. Knowing me, I would have sprung for the GS3 from the get-go if I were able to.

Finally, I have two kids who are on the verge of learning to pour latte art. Think of the barista work study potential in college - it's like funding a 529 by buying a gs/3. Hey man, I'm an enabler - sue me :twisted:

Gfcronus (original poster)

#7: Post by Gfcronus (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:Not over a GS/3 but always had the tension with the responsibility for young ones. Questions which you alone can answer:

1. How is your emergency fund? When our kids were young, I always tried to shoot for 6 months gross income in a nest egg.
2. Are you on track for 529 plans for the children? Any special plans in your state of residence to reduce cost via state universities?
3. Term insurance. Do you (and your wife) have adequate term insurance in case of unexpected death? Not only do you lose income but you incur child care and more meals out.
4. Retirement. Social security will be pared down in future years. Are you on path/course for achieving goals?

If yes, enjoy. If not, enjoy wonderful pourovers. Suggest those be taken care of first and then wade into the GS/3.
I've got all four covered. I guess I'm buying a GS/3 then! :-)

Boldjava

#8: Post by Boldjava replying to Gfcronus »

Badda-bing!
-----
LMWDP #339

#9: Post by Gfcronus (original poster) »

cmin wrote:Well first things first, you didn't mention what grinder your going to be using, there's additional cost right there that can go over 1k easily. If you're that worried, I'd say look at a cheaper machine, plenty of dual boilers in the 2-3k range, Rockets, Duetto 3, Quickmill etc (the new Profitec 700 is sweet). Otherwise you may buy it + an expensive grinder and then every day sit there and regret it, if you feel like that will happen, don't do it, if you feel you can push that aside then it's your choice and money. I don't think anybody pays market price for a GS/3 anyway, can easily negotiate down in the 5k range as plenty of others have. But if you feel that strongly, go with a cheaper setup or a different route (pour over etc) as it sounds like your prepping yourself for serious buyers remorse and will regret it everytime you look at the machine.

btw- wifes fam is from Rochester
I've already considered the grinder. Looking at a Titan style conical in the $1,500 range. Probably a Compak K-10 P/B.

Thank you for the tips on price. Getting it in the mid-$5,000s would be huge. Much more easily rationalized.

We are in GP Farms. Neither of us are native Michiganders. We moved here a few years ago because of a job transfer (not auto industry) and fell in love with the community. Perfect place to raise kids.

#10: Post by Gfcronus (original poster) »

Italyhound wrote:Finally, I have two kids who are on the verge of learning to pour latte art. Think of the barista work study potential in college - it's like funding a 529 by buying a gs/3. Hey man, I'm an enabler - sue me :twisted:
That's great! You sold me. :D