Will I regret purchasing a Baratza Vario?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
intown

#1: Post by intown »

First Let me say thanks to this site and all the people that post. It has all been very informative and helpful.

I am thinking of taking my first step into better coffee and espresso.

First purchase will be a grinder. Thinking of buying a Vario.

My situation:
Office use at a 2 person office (both drink coffee)
We make Drip coffee currently
Plan on spending $500 -$800 for a new or used espresso machine in the next 6 months
Not interested in spending more than $500 for a grinder (new or used)
Have found a place to buy a new Vario for $370 (tax and shipping included)

I like the idea of the programable controls and the ability to go between drip coffee and espresso easily.

I am open to used machines, if they can be found at a good price.

Does the Vario seem like a good option?
Do you know of any other grinders with digital timed controls at this price point?
Can you think of a more appropriate grinder?

It seems that the vario is a great option but every now and then I see posts to the contrary.

Looking for a good sub $500 grinder that will do drip and espresso.

Thanks! -- Steven

homeburrero
Team HB

#2: Post by homeburrero »

intown wrote:Have found a place to buy a new Vario for $370 (tax and shipping included)
That is an unbelievably good deal!

The Vario will do a great job at both. The ideal solution would be a Virtuoso for drip and a Vario for espresso. Some of us (myself included) have found that when opening up the Vario for a drip grind, then going back to espresso it may be off a little from where it was previously dialed in. On my Vario I have no problem if I just change the micro adjustment to allow for my different beans and different espresso machines, but when I change the macro I sort of assume that I may need to do a little 'dialing in' to get back to the perfect grind settings for my espressos.
intown wrote:I like the idea of the programable controls and the ability to go between drip coffee and espresso easily.

The Vario is really easy to program, and will remember 3 dose settings but I find that I don't use the timed grind feature much. It's very easy to weigh the beans each time and single dose.

In your case I'd say go for the Vario, especially at that price. If you find you have trouble going back and forth between drip and espresso then you can consider adding a virtuoso or maestro just for the drip.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

Advertisement
DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

I got my Vario brand new in March off eBay for $360 shipped for a non 'W' Vario. You just have to contact some of the frequent sellers of Baratza Vario and give them an offer. (I offered $350 and they countered with $360.) I did have a post purchase warranty problem and service from Baratza was quick and painless - full warranty for me.

I haven't regretted the Vario at all, but then again my skills are still in the beginning stages. Seems to be a very nice grinder, limited clumping on most grinds, quick tap on the side loosens the last 0.2g of the grounds from the chamber when dosing. Very nice to dial in grinds with too.
LMWDP #445

increasingdelight

#4: Post by increasingdelight »

I LOVE my vario! It's a great purchase. You might want to upgrade at some point (but only to a machine that's $800+) but you won't regret it... There's simply no reason to regret it. It's also very versatile for different types of grinds!

tglodjo

#5: Post by tglodjo »

I'll chime in too. Love my Vario-W. go from espresso to drip regularly and it works well for both (though as previously stated, some dialing in is necessary when returning to espresso). I'd watch the Baratza site and try to get the Vario-W as a refurb for $460. It's definitely worth the upgrade. I am crazy spoiled not having to weigh my beans before grinding.

intown (original poster)

#6: Post by intown (original poster) »

Thanks so much for all the replies and information. Glad to know so many others are happy with the Vario.

I made the Vario purchase and was able to negotiate the price to $349 (shipping included & no tax) and looking forward to it arriving.

Thanks again for all the info. I think I will have a great grinder for many years to come.

Thanks! -- Steven

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

I guess you normally don't hear from happy customers, just hear about problems. I've been happily using my original Baratza Vario for espresso and pour-over for almost three years and I've been very happy with it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
TomC
Team HB

#8: Post by TomC »

I think it's rather unanimous that the B Vario is value for the money. I think it's a better value than the more expensive, but poorer grind quality of the Mazzer Mini. If you wrote Mazzer Mini, I'd be inclined to say yes.
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

pacificmanitou

#9: Post by pacificmanitou »

intown wrote:Does the Vario seem like a good option?
Do you know of any other grinders with digital timed controls at this price point?
Can you think of a more appropriate grinder?
Yes
No
Not at the price range.

Simple enough for ya?

Note about the Vario-W: it does not grind into portafilters, something to consider if you intend to use it for espresso.
LMWDP #366

intown (original poster)

#10: Post by intown (original poster) »

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post.

I got the Vario and love it greatly.

So glad I made the purchase.

Thanks! -- Steven