Will I be disappointed with Breville BES920XL?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Coastie44

#1: Post by Coastie44 »

I learned today that I can get a Breville BES920XL for $300 from my employee recognition program!

For this amount, am I going to be disappointed ? From other threads it looks like a capable machine!! I am coming from an ancient Gaggia Espresso (like a classic without OPV or 3 way valve. )

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I don't see how you can lose at that price; you could use it for a year and sell it for more that you paid. See Breville Dual Boiler (BES920XL) Review for details.
Dan Kehn

sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

You wouldn't be disappointed even at full price. At that price, you will be thrilled.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Heck of a deal. Brevilles are noted for being loaded with many features (some not found in other machines) for a low price...kind of the Chevy of Espresso makers. As long as you don't expect a Ferrari it should do the job for you. They are not noted for quality control, availability of repair parts or longevity. On the other hand, (in Canada at least) they have a good warranty service, often replacing machines that cannot be repaired or are a bit out of warranty, sometimes with a newer version. The 920 is the second from the top of the line and loaded with features. I've had a bunch of Breville espresso machines and was able to make decent espresso with all of them. If you go for it, my advice would be to try out ever feature right away, use it a lot and thus evaluate. Since you're coming from a single boiler machine you already have all the skills you need to know if the thing is working properly. If you suspect something is wrong with the one you get, don't be shy to get right back to the supplier, or Breville. I once had three Breville Baristas in a row before I got one that I was happy with. It was a terrific machine, until the grinder died, even though it had a thermocoil instead of a boiler. On the other hand, you could buy it, sell it unopened, double or triple your money, and get the machine you really want (if it isn't the Breville). Check the for sale ads to see what they go for. I don't see how you could lose.

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Bill33525 »

You can sell it for more than you are paying. Great machine for short or long term use.

maxbmello

#6: Post by maxbmello »

I've had mine for over 4 years now, and am still happy with it. Every time I start shopping for a new machine, I am reminded by the incredible value packed in these Brevilles. For $300, you can't go wrong.

The only thing that has gone awry on mine was a leaking steam boiler after several years of daily use. $10 from Amazon got me the replacement o rings, did the work myself and it's been fine ver since.

Pull the trigger and don't look back!

Coastie44 (original poster)

#7: Post by Coastie44 (original poster) »

Thanks for the input! I will get my bed bath and beyond gift cards ordered (thru my employee recognition program) which is what will pay for it!!

Montrealguy

#8: Post by Montrealguy »

My experience with Breville products is not that great. I purchased the Breville 900XL (former model of 920XL) and I had numerous issues with it. The first unit was never able to make pressure and Breville replaced it with a new one. Over a period of four years, I had to replace the solenoid valve twice, the OPV and I had numerous leaks. The worse issue with that model (and corrected with the 920XL) was the descaling process. I had the unit descaled at a factory authorized center and they didn't follow the recommended procedures. The result was that a part of the descaling solution remained in the steam boiler tank and caused corrosion (and very bad tasting coffee). The steam boiler started to leak heavily.

I also bought a Smart grinder. Good for the first three years then the gear broke and no replacement part was available.

I finally gave up on Breville and purchased a HX machine. A lot less features but a lot easier to maintain

Nick Name

#9: Post by Nick Name »

While I'm not the biggest fan of Breville products, at that price, even I wouldn't think twice. Just go for it.

chipman

#10: Post by chipman »

Don't forget to use a 20% discount coupon.