Why a used Super Jolly grinder should be on your wish list

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
marrahm

#1: Post by marrahm »

Moral of this post: A used Super Jolly should be the standard entry level grinder and one of the first things on your coffee wish list (even before a machine).

I "got into" espresso after a trip to Italy a few years ago. Budget limits being what they are, I re-built an ebay machine (basic Gaggia Espresso) on the cheap and then upgraded it over the years with the usual stuff as I learned to "need" them (dynamically adjusted OPV, filtered water system, PID, PID alarm steam control, bottomless PF, silvia steam arm). Grinder was the only new item I purchased and it was the entry level solis maestro.

I've read how important grinders are, but I didn't completely believe it and I couldn't afford the hundreds of dollars required anyway. After all, my entire modified espresso machine is less than $200. And dialed in, the maestro and gaggia were giving me better shots than I could get in just about any shop in town.

But I finally sucked it up and picked up a SJ (on craig's list) for $400 last week. Without the hopper, it is no bigger than the machine and fits fine under the cabinets. It had been used less than 10 months as a decaff grinder in a shop that didn't make it so it looks new and the burrs are still good and sharp. Found zero setting per online instructions and backed off a bit from there to dial it in within a pound of beans.

Every one of the modifications I've made to the machine increased the consistency or quality (or both) of my shots enough that it was objectively worth doing the mod. But if I had to do it all over again, I would get a used SJ before even getting a machine. Because the combined benefits obtained by modding the machine have been greatly overshadowed by switching to this grinder. It is truly amazing the consistency of shots and the quality of shots we can get from this set up now. The worst shot I have pulled with this grinder was better than the best shot I've pulled in 4 years with the maestro.

I made my wife a cap the other day and she did not believe that I hadn't put in a shot of hot chocolate. Seemingly random issues with bitterness have disappeared, overall taste is better at all levels, flavor distinctions are even better as we're able to really differentiate among various blends. Only new problem is that the grinder has shown me my tamping is weak/defective as I now get channeling problems that I haven't seen in years.

So back to the moral. Mark as true all the stuff you hear about how important a grinder is to espresso. Used SJ's are all over the place now -- it is easily the best $ you can spend for your espresso, in my opinion, and should be considered the standard entry level grinder for espresso regardless of machine.

good luck,
mike

texican

#2: Post by texican »

Mike, that is an outstanding post! This should be REQUIRED reading for all espresso nubies IMHO. It echoes a similar path that I came to realize :oops: .

Thanks, for the reminder.

Steve, in Ft. Worth
"Hand me another one of them thar brews..."

ZZ Top song MEXICAN BLACKBIRD

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

Regrettably, one size does not fit all. Super Jolly's are great for single espresso fanatics with lots of counter space and headroom or espresso fanatic couples with the same real estate.

Most people, especially wives, hate the look of monster grinders in their kitchens or bars and will wreak acts of vengeance on any husband or b/f that brings one home. Removing the hopper only solves the overhead real estate issue, while compromising the machine's performance by creating a popcorning grinding environment. And they're still ugly.

That being said, if I were single and had bar space with the headroom, I'm sure I'd have an unmodified SJ (or some other "Titan" grinder). But, in my much happier married state, my low-profile La Cimbali Max Hybrid is the right solution.
Marshall
Los Angeles

bgn

#4: Post by bgn »

What did the SJ replace? a whirrly bird grinder? a fake burr grinder?

Sherman

#5: Post by Sherman »

To Marshall's point, just about any of the "titan" grinders has an exceptionally low WAF*. Should you invest in this hunk of machine, you may find yourself in the position of having to quickly (and repeatedly, over the course of many days/weeks/months) prove that the purchase was worthwhile. Pulling the cappuccino for your wife was a good idea. If I may boldly suggest that you pull her another cappuccino using the Maestro... give her a good reason to prefer the SJ.

That said, your experience echos that of many others who count themselves among the H-B membership, and it's another mark in the "yes" column for those keeping score at home.

FWIW, I've de-dosered and de-timered my SJ. It ain't pretty, but it keeps the significant other in a state of near-blissful latte consumption. This one's a keeper, and the SO can stick around too ;).

Oh, and
Marshall wrote:Most people, especially wives, hate the look of monster grinders in their kitchens or bars and will wreak acts of vengeance on any husband or b/f that brings one home. Removing the hopper only solves the overhead real estate issue, while compromising the machine's performance by creating a popcorning grinding environment. And they're still ugly.
Popcorning can be mitigated by placing a tamper, backflush insert, or other similarly fitting device in the throat, on top of the beans. Short of putting a lampshade on top of the SJ, you won't have much of a choice in the looks dept. If you've got the space, an appliance garage would be very useful.

Also, I've found that putting slider feet on the grinder helps to move it around on the countertop with minimal effort. Works for the espresso machine, too.

-s.

*Wife Acceptance Factor
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

portamento

#6: Post by portamento »

Marshall wrote:That being said, if I were single and had bar space with the headroom, I'm sure I'd have an unmodified SJ (or some other "Titan" grinder). But, in my much happier married state, my low-profile La Cimbali Max Hybrid is the right solution.
Well if we're going to talk aesthetics and female acceptance, I find the Mazzer Super Jolly far more attractive than the Cimbali Max Hybrid. But if the CMH is just the right height for you to tuck it under your cabinets, I can see the rationale.
Ryan

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall replying to portamento »

Scale is important, too.
Marshall
Los Angeles

JmanEspresso

#8: Post by JmanEspresso »

Very true sir. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new grinder.

IMHO, the newer model mazzers look nice, hopper and all. When compared to the majority of Ebay/CL's finds, the new ones looks like nice grinders, the used guys, with matte doser instead of polished, chipped and peeling paint, coffee stains, don't look nearly as nice. But they grind the same.

Given the choice, Id take a MaxHybrid over the SJ, but it wouldnt work for me. I have 3 to 4 different coffees on my bench at any given time, and rarely do I only pull one of those during a sesh. Add to that, that I like wieghing and adding per dose, and the VMH prob wouldnt work for me. Its a shame.

And what you said about your wife not believing you about not adding a shot of hot chocolate to the latte, I can totally relate to that. When I first got Anita/Major dialed in... The first milk drink I made surprised me with how much the espresso came through the milk compared to what I used to have. Its awesome, even many months later, as this still happens everyday. To a lesser extent, of course, but awesome still.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#9: Post by RapidCoffee »

According to W-D-H info on the Chris' Coffee website:

CMH: 8.5 (6.5 + 2) x 14 x 17
Super Jolly: 7.75 x 10.5 x 23.5
Major: 8 x 12.25 x 24.5

The height of my Major without the ginormous hopper is only 15 inches. A mini-hopper adds about 3 inches. The height of the SJ is probably an inch less. There may be reasons to prefer the CMH, but an argument based on grinder dimensions is pretty weak.
John

CRCasey

#10: Post by CRCasey »

Mine is bigger than yours, or smaller than yours, does not matter does it?

Taste the drink.

Do what fits your space.

-Cecil
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244