Why not the La Marzocco Linea?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gfcronus

#1: Post by Gfcronus »

You see so many posters trying to decide between a GS/3, a Speedster, and a Slayer, it got me wondering: how come La Marzocco's Linea series never makes the cut list?

mivanitsky
Supporter ★

#2: Post by mivanitsky »

It is in the same league, but when considering machines for the home, its prodigious bulk rules it out for many people. The single group Synesso machines are not on the short list of many, for the same reason. I am seriously considering replacing my Synesso with a Slayer for the same reason.

-Mike

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

Looking at the machines you listed, if you take a second to do a google image search, you'll see the Linea is out of place. It's a full height machine face compared to the others on that list that lift the group above all. The groups don't feature as prominently in the Linea as for those others.

Full group view = sexy espresso machine
e61 is a good example of the sexy group that has endured many years of other designs, yet remains quite popular.
LMWDP #445

russel

#4: Post by russel »

A 1 group 110v Linea is front and center on my list. I have a need for a reference machine and the Linea is it. The catch for me is that I prefer rebuilding machines to buying new, and 1 group Lineas are both uncommon and substantially more than a project 2 group Linea, but I already have a 2 group 220v commercial machine that isn't going anywhere, and don't have space for another. So I'm sort of waiting around to see where things take me...

Personally, I prefer the bulk and build of the Linea to what I feel is the disappointing build of the GS/3. As you might imagine I also prefer the Synesso 1 group. I've never used the Slayer 1 group, so I can only assume that its build would be pleasing.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com