Who knows about a small HX espresso machine

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
khestehave

#1: Post by khestehave »

Hi
I am looking for a small HX machine for my upgrade from my Silvia. I have looked seriously into a Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX due to the small foot print but also it's specs, which are pretty good, but just want to make sure there isn't a machine out there which I don't know of yet.

My ideal machine is this:
E61 group
Large heat exchange boiler
No burn steam wand
Great build quality (VBM or QM quality)
Preferably an "old school" design (I like the Andreja Premium look)
Silvia footprint.....width is the most important....need narrow
Steam wand on the right

Any ideas????

Klaus

sashaman

#2: Post by sashaman »

Maybe someone else can correct me, but as far as I know all of the exposed E61 HX machines have the steam wand on the left. Otherwise, based on reviews here and elsewhere, I think the domobar junior is probably the best choice given that width is very important to you - other similar machines tend to be about 1 1/2 inches wider.

Advertisement
bravozulu

#3: Post by bravozulu »

Klaus, I am buying a Vibiemme HX Jr. in a few days. Like you I want something small. You probably know the dimensions, but if you don't they are 22.5 cm wide, 46 cm deep, 42.6cm high. In my kitchen, there is only 44 cm clearance under the cabinets. So that is my only limitation.

You can find a complete description on the Website for 1st-Line Coffee Products. www.1st-line.com. They explain the advantages of the machine. And it does have a no-burn steam wand. For 6 weeks I have been doing research on Espresso equipment. Vibiemme is expensive so not many homes own it, thus there isn't much conversation on the Internet compared to other brands.

But I read a web forum for Coffee Aficionados in Australia, and the people make comments that are clear and thoughtful. 3 owners of the Vibiemme HX Jr. were discussing the machine and expressed the idea that Vibiemme easy to learn, and therefore they reached excellent results quickly. That is encouraging.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing about your final choice of a machine.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

khestehave wrote:I am looking for a small HX machine... but just want to make sure there isn't a machine out there which I don't know of yet.
The Bezzera BZ07 is small for an HX espresso machine; dimensions from 1st-line's site are 37.5cm H x 25cm W x 42.5cm D. I wrote a review of 4 espresso machines for WIRED magazine last year that included the BZ07.
Dan Kehn

mhborstad

#5: Post by mhborstad »

If steam wand placement is critical, most Hx machines with steam/hot water wands should allow swapping of the two with some (relatively) minor piping changes. A DIY job if you are comfortable with plumbing.

The BZ07 wouldn't benefit from this, but the near-identical BZ10 has the wands placed such that it would, and as Dan mentions they're very compact.

another_jim
Team HB

#6: Post by another_jim »

The basic Expobar Pulsar is very compact, and has the auto version of the E61. The NS Oscar is also small. Both these machines have unprepossessing looks. Arguably the most beautiful espresso machine is also the most compact HX: the Elektra Semiautomatica, with a 12 inch diameter footprint and weighing in at 20 pounds. However, it is over 18 inches high and on the expensive side.
Jim Schulman

mariog7

#7: Post by mariog7 »

Please let me know what you think once you receive your Vibiemme HX Jr. I am considering upgrading from my Gaggia Classic to this machine because I want a HX and have small counter space. Good luck!

Advertisement
khestehave (original poster)

#8: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Hey Everyone
The decision is in.

It's going to be the Domobar Jr. HX!

Why? Well, I looked at your suggestions and I must admit that I was a bit smitten with the Bezzera at first, but then I looked a bit more into the details, but mostly the lack of the E61 was the determining factor. I know some will say that the E61 might be overrated, but I would like to see for myself and also I have no idea about the BZ group, good nor bad. Also the steam activation knob doesn't fly with me. It does however have en nice square look that I like, but still....it's going to be in my kitchen to make coffee ;o) So I didn't get much in return for giving up the E61.
Expobar? looks like a toy and can't find an Danish dealer where I could see the thing IRL.
Oscar? Plastic....yuk....sorry....
I had a very quick spell looking at the Faema Carisma S, but I couldn't find any dealers in Europe who could provide me with a price (so it could €4000 for all I know) and then the footprint was too big.....but uuuuuhhhh that big fat "Faema" name on the drip tray....looking good.
Elektra Semiauto.....not that oldschool a look ;)

So VBM it is....but hey it can't be too bad if Valente himself had something to do with it right? And for the steam wand placement issue I tried writing the factory to see if they could help me out with switching them on the line, but I think that's a long shot.....

Thanks for all your help!

I will let you know how it runs when I receive it.

Later

Klaus

khestehave (original poster)

#9: Post by khestehave (original poster) »

Hey

OK So I sprung for the VBM Domo Jr HX.

I started a new thread with my first impressions that I will try and keep up to date as I go along, since there isn't much user info on this amazing machine anywhere....that I could find :)

Follow it here: First day with Vibiemme Domobar Junior HX

Br

Klaus