Which type of espresso machine is fun, and functional

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
will100

#1: Post by will100 »

I've been beating my head for a while on this, and have gone full circle a few times:

- I love grilling, experimenting... experimenting with margarita recipes, cooking, etc... I really think my starbucks espresso addiction has a long way to go once I get a nice home rig. I've been stopping at smaller shops and having espresso... my palate has a long way to go, but I know there is far more enjoyable than starbucks...

DB-E61, DB-other - HX-E61 - Lever...
- I have a 20A circuit, and can easily plumb
- I want to be able to experiment / have some fun, but...
- Mon-Fri it is a mad rush in the AM
- I want to be able to entertain and make latte's or whatever for a reasonably small group of friends, or / and my daughter and her friends.
- I have lots of open counter space, without overhead obstructions

I've read tons of reviews and threads, and have opinions on machines, I know the inventory of various machines at reputable online stores, but I keep second guessing my fundamental premise, which type? I've read everything I can find on DB vs HX, my question is really on allowing weekend fun / tinkering, while Mon-Fri being optimized for time.

I had discounted the Vivaldi, since I wanted a unit that can be plumbed and direct connected, but I'm second guessing that even, they look like they might allow for reasonable experimentation, and still be able to stamp out production line milk drinks and espresso on the Mon-Fri cruch.

Strega looks fun for tinkering, but might be too slow for small groups. It might work find for Mon-Fri AM...not sure. Vibe pump is a turn off, but I don't really know, I'm just piecing together things I've read.

Without ever have even put hands on a real espresso machine, it's going to be a leap of faith, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any help,
Will

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

will100 wrote:I had discounted the Vivaldi, since I wanted a unit that can be plumbed and direct connected, but I'm second guessing that even, they look like they might allow for reasonble experimentation, and still be able to stamp out production line milk drinks and espresso on the Mon-Fri cruch (i.e. fun).
The Vivaldi requires direct connect to a water line. The Mini Vivaldi uses a reservoir. The Dream is an updated model line. Any of these Spaziale machines will meet your needs.
John

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Also, you could get one espresso machine that will accommodate groups and another for getting acquainted with levers. The lever machine can be vintage and doesn't have to be pricey.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

will100 (original poster)

#4: Post by will100 (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:The Vivaldi requires direct connect to a water line. The Mini Vivaldi uses a reservoir. The Dream is an updated model line. Any of these Spaziale machines will meet your needs.
Thanks the endorsement of Vivaldi for my interests. I hate having to commit to being plumbed, but in the end, I'll likely plumb it and never look back.

Thanks,
Will

#5: Post by will100 (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Also, you could get one espresso machine that will accommodate groups and another for getting acquainted with levers. The lever machine can be vintage and doesn't have to be pricey.
I like you're thinking... my hall pass only goes so far... if I ever get a second machine it will be a few years out. btw, What lever wouldn't be pricey?

Thanks,
Will

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary replying to will100 »

One person's bargain is another's luxury. I like Caravels, vintage La Pavonis in good shape, La Peppina can be good but the kettles can corrode. I would avoid Microcimbalis because of the boiler corrosion and would stay away from Enrico of Italy. There are others that can be discussed but it looks like you're aiming at one machine, so I don't want to take this thread off track.
Gary
LMWDP#308

#7: Post by will100 (original poster) replying to drgary »

thanks for the info... as soon as I wrap up the immediate acquisition, I can start to dream...

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary replying to will100 »

Watch out what you wish for. You just never know what you might find ...

Gary
LMWDP#308

dumpshot
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by dumpshot »

My two cents:

There are many good machines, both lever and pump driven, that will meet your needs. You won't really know until you get something and start using it. If this crazy hobby flips your switch (like I think it will!), then this first machine will be a stepping stone to something else down the road. In the meantime, you will have something to learn on and give you the knowledge to move forward.

The good news is that there is a robust market for (good) used machines. So what that does is takes the pressure off for you to feel like you have to choose perfectly now! You may want to make your best choice based on your assumptions and its purported resale value and go from there.

Espresso machines are fun!
Pete
LMWDP #484

#10: Post by will100 (original poster) »

nice! I'm intrigued. I hit ebay and saw a few things, where should I start looking?

You have nice stuff!