Which grinder to upgrade to with $1500 budget?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zapa

#1: Post by zapa »

Hey guys and gals,

I am thinking it is time for me to upgrade grinders. My current setup is a profitec pro 700 and a quamar m80e. The quamar is a good grinder; however I feel like the grinder is not up to par and holding me back a little. I have around $1500 and would like to know what everyone here recommends. I have been looking at the Compak F8 and a few of the Mazzers.

If any one has a lot of experience with grinders in this price range I would love to hear your thoughts.

canuckcoffeeguy

#2: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to zapa »

Do you single dose or hopper feed? And what's your typical routine. And how many drinks per session and what type? Also, what kinds of beans do you like to use, SOs, blends?

canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

zapa wrote:Hey guys and gals,

I am thinking it is time for me to upgrade grinders. My current setup is a profitec pro 700 and a quamar m80e. The quamar is a good grinder; however I feel like the grinder is not up to par and holding me back a little. I have around $1500 and would like to know what everyone here recommends. I have been looking at the Compak F8 and a few of the Mazzers.

If any one has a lot of experience with grinders in this price range I would love to hear your thoughts.
Do you single dose or hopper feed? And what's your typical routine. And how many drinks per session and what type? Also, what kinds of beans do you like to use, SOs, blends? And do you change beans frequently or stick with one for a while?

zapa (original poster)

#4: Post by zapa (original poster) replying to canuckcoffeeguy »

This is my home setup so I do not do a whole lot of volume. I like to single dose but the Quamar does not respond well to single dosing. If you try and single dose it you really have to dump a double right into the knock box, which ends up wasting too much for my wallet so I generally hopper feed about 4oz of beans at at time. I typically start the day with a wet cap and have a few shots(generally pulling ristrettos) throughout the day. I have switched beans up to 3 times a day if I have 3 fresh roast but generally I go through a 12oz and then switch. I occasionally throw in a blend that I have heard is good but most of the time I do SOs.

ilker

#5: Post by ilker »

It seems like you need an HG One grinder.

HoldTheOnions

#6: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I've never had a good grinder, but the F8 is giant sized grinder. A K30 with small hopper will fit better in most kitchens http://www.chriscoffee.com/Mahlkonig-K3 ... variog.htm. I would also put HG One on the short list.

zapa (original poster)

#7: Post by zapa (original poster) »

I am going to stay far away from hand grinding, I know it has its benefits but that is just not me.

canuckcoffeeguy

#8: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

zapa wrote:The quamar is a good grinder; however I feel like the grinder is not up to par and holding me back a little.
zapa wrote:I am going to stay far away from hand grinding, I know it has its benefits but that is just not me.
I guess it would help to know exactly why you feel the Quamar is, as you say, "holding you back". The stuff you don't like about it will inform your considerations for upgrade.

SonVolt

#9: Post by SonVolt »

I've been nothing but pleased with my Ceado e37s after getting to know it.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by JohnB. »

With your budget I'd be looking at either the Compak K10 Pro Barista or the Mahlkonig K30 Vario. Lots of info on each available via the H-B search button.
LMWDP 267