Which grinder to get: Compak E8 or E10, Mahlkonig K30, Ceado E37S or E37J?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Gaius

#1: Post by Gaius »

Hey fellow members,

before you scrutinise me, i would like to apologise for yet another which grinder to get topic, but i have been reading and reading all these discussions but somehow i dont get an answer, maybe i dont get what i want to hear. I decided to open up a new thread so i will be able to pick the best option there is for me.

So here is the thing, currently lets say for a little less than 2 years i have been using mazzer major drogeria with small lever removed so i can cosy grind in the small jar, major really is an amazing grinder and i simply cannot believe how good the retention is, I single dose each time and if there is 20.15g in i would get 20g out (of course this is with a little bit of a help, i bash 2-3 times the top loading funnel with open balm so i kind a generate enough trust to force the retained grinds out) and 0 issues with this grinder over many many espresso shots, its so consistent that I am kind of worried to get a new grinder (reading e37s topics). I also never find a single fine in my cup, which i would like to get with new grinder as well.

Ok but let me cut it down why i would like to change it or should i say upgrade it, firstly its too freaking loud, my wife goes rolling eyes everytime i am about to embark on enjoying a new espresso shot :). Getting the retained grounds out is also kind a loud procedure, but yes i know i can always purge a bit and put a 1-2g more in there and its settled, but now that i got used to this it is really wasting beans for me.

There are few grinders that i am considering mainly on reviews and a little bit on the "availability" here in europe. I know i am the perfect contender for kafatek, but sadly i cannot shell out 2.5k for grinder because there is shipping and customs (which is a huge deal here in slovenia, i would end up paying 3k gor kafatek) so this is out and I am left with the following:

Compak E8 (red burrs upgrade, the practically have 0 retention) 83mm flat / 1500eur
Compak E10 conical / 1600eur
Mahlkonig K30 vario / 1600eur
Anfim Super Caimano On demand display (this is really an ugly duck, but it tend to be really good and cheap) / 900eur
Ceado E37S (they say they have eliminated the spraying) / 1100eur
Ceado E37J (i really really like the price here but i am really afraid that 64mm burrs are huge step down from major 83mm) / 800eur

I was always telling myself for the final grinder upgrade you should get the conical and thats it, you will arrive, but nowdays i am not so sure anymore, conical tend to be for darker roasts (this is what i read on londinium forums) and will bring out the sweeter stuff, but to be honest i moved away from mixture and darker roasts completely, its only city or city+ single origin for me.

Another huge deal with E10 is its fan loudness, but the price point i am able to buy it from UK really is good.
They say Compak E8 with red speed burrs upgrade is one of the best grinders out there, the red speed burrs (practically eliminates the retention).
We all heard so much about the K30, but at this price point for its burr size (i know its easily compared to major 83mm class) but you do really pay alot for huge retention and you always have to have at least half full hopper if you dont want to have more than 1g dosing difference between each grind and this is the bugger for me, i like the looks and everything (would really go nice with duetto, since its low key form factor and kind of fat or really wide), but im just not sure if you shell out 1.6k euros for a grinders thats been literally the same for 13years.

I really love the price and looks of ceado as well, but like some other forum members are claiming i would much rather pay 500euros more for a grinder which i will have 0 potential problems with it than 1100eur for E37S and i risk getting sprays its,. Its kind of really hard to return machine in europe (it doesnt really work like in us, with your 30days non satisfied policy) you are kind of screwed here, once you open it and start using it, there is very little chance you will be able to return it and i really dont want this to happen with E37S, i was also considering the new E37J, which is similar to S expect a bit less powerful motor and 64mm burr set, do you think this is really a huge step down from major 84mm burrs ? I really love the price i can get it for 800eur shipped to door and i assume they have probably eliminated issues with spraying etc since its "NEW" machine or just introduced.

I dont really know what to do, i have been trying to buy a new grinder for a couple of months now but i always get away with it because its one of the hardest decisions :)

SO what i expect from grinder:

- No fines in the cup
- less noisy than Major
- set and forget
- good retention (i am aware that i will end up with a little more retention than i currently have with major)
- accurate timer for double dose (i explicitly drink double shots 18-20g)
- nice cup results

I have also check used ones on ebay etc and nothing really good come up in europe, this is another part i really dont understand, practically everyone of us owns a italian made grinder and machine (few exceptions) but it really really hard to come across a nice higher level used grinder, like no one is really investing in grinders in europe, if you open up US or Australia market there is literally tons of used compaks, mahlkonigs its,. Ok off topic :)

So here it is guys, i would really like to make a good decision on this and i would really appreciate your input and sorry for long post, hope I made it clear what i want.

Thanks!

Gaius (original poster)

#2: Post by Gaius (original poster) »

Hey guys, i went on ebay and in my opinion found a steal price on "very little" used K30 ES with new original burrs installed for $700 and so i bough it, even th hopper looks in new like condition with no yellow colouring etc. So i am really looking forward and will let you know asap :)

Now i have to make a decision if should i keep the Major or sell it.