Which grinder has the best bang for the buck?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
actionhost

#1: Post by actionhost »

I need to buy a grinder, my budget is max the Mazzer Mini (in The Netherlands around 450 euro/ 600 dollars).

Is the Mazzer the best bang for my buck or are there strong contenders in the same price range?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

A used Mazzer SJ or Major would certainly be worth considering as would the Baratza Vario/Mahlkonig Home.
LMWDP 267

jammin

#3: Post by jammin »

New, the Baratza Vario offers the most grinder for your money. It has timed grinding/doserless + the ability to quickly adapt to other methods of coffee preparation.

Personally, I've read too much negative feedback about the grind quality of the mini to consider ever purchasing one. If I was on a budget and needed a killer espresso grinder, I would probably keep my eyes out for a used Mazzer Major, Cimbali Max Hybrid, or Macap MXK.

~j

actionhost (original poster)

#4: Post by actionhost (original poster) »

Thanx Jammin, good advice.

So the Vario is the way to go with my budget? 390 euros over here. I never thought this grinder was an option because of his 'plastic looks'. Not a lot of clumping with the Vario?

And the Compak K3 (touch)??....a little less expensive but I heard and read that it is a pretty good grinder as well.

Bert K

#5: Post by Bert K »

You can also look into used grinders. I bought my Rossi RR45 for 100 euro/125 dollar, and it is a grinding beast! Parts are available, no problem. See also this topic.

RAS

#6: Post by RAS »

I can certainly vouch for the Vario. It's incredibly neat (no stray grounds), quiet and acceptably fast. No clumping at all, negligible retained coffee, and the timer works great. Also, I've never seen a mound of coffee as fluffy as it produces. (My little-used Max-Hybrid will be looking for a new home soon.)

Yes, it has more plastic than I wish it did, but it's sturdy, and I think the plastic would only be an issue if it's abused.

What I also appreciate is the small footprint. It fits perfectly in my small coffee bar :wink:
Bob

Martin

#7: Post by Martin »

I have an older Mini and just added a Vario. IMO, both do a very good job.

I did some modding and spent some money on the Mini to turn it into an entirely manual, doserless grinder. I like the machine a lot----as much as I did when it had few competitors at its price.

I like best the Mini's build and brand as well as the confidence that it will perform as I expect it to. Of course, these are the same reasons that I like my Leica camera---which doesn't mean that I always get the best pictures.

I'm new to the feature-rich Vario, and I'm happy to say that I can easily ignore all those features. I'm strictly a weigh-the-beans, on-off guy, and I like the intuitive and accurate grind setting.

As a piece of gear, I love the Mini, but can't recommend it to most purchasers. IMO the Mini would be a niche purchase---saying more about what's in your head than in your cup. (pun intended)
Heat + Beans = Roast. All the rest is commentary.

actionhost (original poster)

#8: Post by actionhost (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. Your setup with the Vario looks great. The small footprint would be a must for me 2, because of small kitchen. And the easy sounds great to.

And I agree with Martin that the MM is a great grinder, but 200 dollars more expensive here then the Vario, and I don't know if you will notice that difference in your cup.

Aaron

#9: Post by Aaron »

I think that if you can find a good grinder used then you will get the most bang for your buck. The Mazzers are built to last "forever" in home use years. A used one might require a little paint and a new set of burrs, but you can usually get them at a big discount depending on how patient you are.
“The powers of a man's mind are proportionate to the quantity of coffee he drinks” - James McKintosh

zin1953

#10: Post by zin1953 »

Hate to sound like a broken record ("scratched CD"?), but I agree:
-- new, your best best is is a Mahlkönig VARIO Home (the name under which the Baratza Vario is sold within the EU);
-- used, your best bet is a Mazzer Super Jolly or Mazzer Major.

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.