Which double boiler espresso machine to purchase? - Page 4

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
zin1953

#31: Post by zin1953 »

Dodger1 wrote:After more than a little thought I just pulled the trigger on a New Izzo Alex Duetto II and a Super Jolly from Chris. 8)
A great setup! I'm sure you'll be happy with it . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#32: Post by uscfroadie »

Endo wrote:The Vivaldi sucks for making Latte art quality foam. I've yet to see someone make a great multiple rosetta pattern with foam from this machine. With my Silvia, it was 100 times easier.
I had the same problem when I went from my QM Alexia to the Vetrano. The original tip on the no-burn arm is too fast and outruns the boiler (or at least my setting of .9 - 1.2 bars). Have the same tip that came with my Alexia on the no-burn now (adapter needed) and can make latte art quality microfoam in my sleep. The downside is a little speed.

You can try plugging a few of your holes in your small 4-holer and see what the result is. I know you have a single hole tip, but you didn't mention the size of the hole. If it's too big, it'll produce crap microfoam.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.
Merle

michael

#33: Post by michael »

i have the vivaldi VII which is great and has lots of steam for milk drinks; the plumb-in is a must; couldnt go back to the pour over again. i currently use it with a mazzer mini e, but am thinking of a new grinder. if you can, i would go for one of the larger mazzer electronic grinders, the kony or major; doesnt the super jolly have the same burrs as the mini e 8)

EricC
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by EricC »

The Mazzer Mini E's have the same diameter burrs, however they have less aggressive cutting surfaces when compared to the Super Jolly's.

michael

#35: Post by michael »

could you explain the "less aggresssive cutting surfaces"

is that supposed to translate to less clumping 8)

shadowfax

#36: Post by shadowfax replying to michael »

No; less aggressive means that the cuts are closer to tangential than radial. That makes it cut slower, which more likely leads to more clumping, but that's just a guess. The reason that they seem to have a less aggressive cutting path is most likely to reduce startup/operating torque on the motor, which is smaller than the Super Jolly motor. All of the few accounts I have read of the Mini E in comparison to the Mini and Super Jolly place it closer to the former than the latter.

That said, there are reports of people running their Mini-E's with SJ and even SJ 'Duranium' burrs (even more aggressive). A forum search may help you if you're looking to upgrade. The risk is binding your motor if you're not careful--that's usually mostly harmless if you stop it fast enough.
Nicholas Lundgaard

HB
Admin

#37: Post by HB »

michael wrote:could you explain the "less aggressive cutting surfaces"
From the FAQs: Difference between Mazzer Mini E burrs and Super Jolly burrs?
Dan Kehn

Dodger1 (original poster)

#38: Post by Dodger1 (original poster) »

I just canceled my order for the Duetto and ordered the Mini Vivaldi II.

Lockman

#39: Post by Lockman replying to Dodger1 »

Good choice! :lol:
LMWDP #226.

"It takes many victims to make a culinary masterpiece"

zin1953

#40: Post by zin1953 »

Dodger1 wrote:I just canceled my order for the Duetto and ordered the Mini Vivaldi II.
As I said before . . .
zin1953 wrote:A great setup! I'm sure you'll be happy with it . . .
Seriously, both machines certainly can do the job -- it's hard to go wrong . . . .
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.